Tirebond glue minimum usage temperature

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
The bottle says not to use below 55F. Now it's december we're not likely to see a temperature that high for a while. My garage is unheated :(, so what's
the minimum temperature I should really use it at (are they being too cautious), and what's likely to happen if I use it when it's too cold...?

I want to glue up my veneered MDF shelves for the kitchen - I'd do it indoors, but there's bound to be dust raised afterwards when I tidy the trim...

Brrrrrr,

Pete

Pete,

Titebond's website can tell you what happens (trouble) .

"Chalking"
Chalky white appearance of a layer of glue which has dried too cold. A glue which dries below this critical "chalk point" does not knit together properly and the resulting bond is likely to fail.

For original titebond:- Chalk temperature*Approx. 50°F

Thanks (feels like silly person for not thinking of checking their website).

Looks like it's got to happen indoors then...

I'm slightly worried by the lifetime bit though - I've had this at least eighteen months. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be OK - if it won't please tell me now !!

Cheers,

Pete

Pete,

You can date your bottle this way:

Ref the code on the Titebond bottles- 1st digit indicates the year (2 = 2002 etc). The 2nd digit indicates the month(A = January etc. But "I" is not included in case of confusion with "1".
Learnt this after running out, driving for an hour to get some more, back into the shop and finding it as thick as toothpaste.

Noel

I've been waiting since 7.30 for the shop to warm up, just started gluing about an hour ago!

Jason

Latest posts

Back