Tips & Tricks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bag Opener.
I hesitate to post this because these bag openers were once quite common especially for gardening, but I can't seem to find any now. However if you can find one they make cleaning up the shavings so much quicker & easier.
Tip 015 - Bag Opener.jpg

Attachments

• Tip 015 - Bag Opener.jpg
    Tip 015 - Bag Opener.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,364
Most liquids used for cleaning can be used more than once.

Tip 016 - Used Cleaners.jpg

Don't throw used cleaning liquids away after their first use. Instead save each in its own container, the sediment will drop to the bottom leaving cleaned liquid behind.
Used paraffin for cleaning greasy items notably car parts & the protective grease on new items
Used white Spirit, Meths & Cellulose Thinners for cleaning brushes but not for thinning.

Attachments

• Tip 016 - Used Cleaners.jpg
    Tip 016 - Used Cleaners.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 1,180
Keep your superglue in the fridge, it lasts much longer.

But don't let your PVA glue drop down to or near freezing point and keep it in the house in the winter if your workshop isn't heated.

The same with epoxy resin or if it does get too cold it will go almost solid. If it does then put the containers in a small saucepan of hot water on the stove for 15 minutes and just let it simmer and it will return to liquid. Some people use the microwave, but as I don't like the things I stick to the water. It doesn't go above boiling does it :mrgreen:

A cheap, bright light.

Tip 020 - Panel Light 12w.JPG

12w LED panel complete with transformer. Available in various sizes. This one is approx 150mm square & cost about £7 from Ebay.

I mounted mine on an articulated arm which hangs from a french cleat at the rear of the lathe. Also added an in line switch for convenience.

Attachments

• Tip 020 - Panel Light 12w.JPG
    Tip 020 - Panel Light 12w.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 1,113
Skewchigouges (Alan Beecham)

Tip 019 - Skewchigouges.jpg

I've bought HSS blanks from Ashley Iles in the past to make items like a three point tool. That's a misnomer as really it's one point created by grinding three flats.
Phil.p posted a link to some cheap (£2.50 each now £4.65) 10mmx100mm HSS blanks, from an Amazon Hong kong seller, so I bought four (post1219767.html#p1219767).
I had always wanted to try a skewchigouge so this provided a cheap way of doing it.
Made 2 & lost both to other woodturners - beginners love them. Never mind, I have a cunning plan. I'll use a collet chuck handle (see next tip)

Attachments

• Tip 019 - Skewchigouges.jpg
    Tip 019 - Skewchigouges.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 1,060
I have heard of skewchigouges and wondered what they were? That looks like a goodie. I may well finish up with a couple of those?

A few years back I got a couple of HSS 3/8" bars. One is now a skew gouge and the other a 3 point. The ferrules I used were French copper pipe. It's VERY hard and ideal for the job.

https://flic.kr/p/24aWqbf

A 3/8" round skew gouge is a real pleasure to use and perfect for detailed work.

ER20 Collet handles.

Tip 20 - Collet Handles.jpg

There are several handles on the market, produced & sold by professional turners, which allow a quick change of tool.
These were less than £8 each. Collets are approx £6-£8 if bought individually.
I think the material around the handle is shrink tube. It's only to take away the coldness of the metal.
You could of course add a much longer handle.
The bottom tool is just an angled flat ground on a 6mm HSS round bar with the nose ground like a spindle gouge.

Attachments

• Tip 20 - Collet Handles.jpg
    Tip 20 - Collet Handles.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 971
Collet Chucks

Tip 020 - Collet Chucks.jpg

APTC Junior ER20 collet chuck
SCT ER32 collet chuck (Chronos)
Both chucks are M33 thread to fit my lathe.
Both collets shown can hold approx the same size. The ER20 is 13-12mm & the ER32 is 1/2".

Attachments

• Tip 020 - Collet Chucks.jpg
    Tip 020 - Collet Chucks.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 1,552
Anti-static wipes.

Stop dust being attracted to your face shield, goggles or glasses by giving them a wipe with a tumble dryer sheet. Leaves them smelling nice as well.

Also makes cleaning up after turning plastic or resin very easy, almost a pleasure.

If you keep it in a sealed plastic bag after use it can be re-used a number of times.
The same applies to tac rags.

Pin Holder

Often I need to remove some ingrained dirt or paint from for example a screw head or clean out an aerosol nozzle or unbung the superglue bottle tube but my fingers wont grip a pin for too long. So cut off the head & hold the pin in either an Archimedes drill or a pin vice.

Tip 22a - Pin Vice.jpg

Tip 22b - Archimedes drill.jpg

Attachments

• Tip 22a - Pin Vice.jpg
    Tip 22a - Pin Vice.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,424
  • Tip 22b - Archimedes drill.jpg
    Tip 22b - Archimedes drill.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,406
Wood splitting wedges

Tip 029 - Wedges.jpg

The 2 on the left are probably over 70 years old.
The conical one is best used at the end of a log rather than in side grain.
A bolster & cold chisels can also be helpful.

Logs for Ball 03.jpg

I also use a chopper & lump hammer for splitting firewood logs.

A combination of wedges, chopper & lump hammer were used to split this ash log. Took about 10 minutes.

Logs for Ball 01.jpg

Attachments

• Tip 029 - Wedges.jpg
    Tip 029 - Wedges.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • Logs for Ball 03.jpg
    Logs for Ball 03.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Logs for Ball 01.jpg
    Logs for Ball 01.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 1,456
Logsaw
You don't need a fancy device to saw up the occasional log, a chair will do. Probably best not to use with a chainsaw.

Tip 021 - Log Saw.jpg

Attachments

• Tip 021 - Log Saw.jpg
    Tip 021 - Log Saw.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 1,300
Robbo3":lxq1pbbm said:
Wood splitting wedges

The 2 on the left are probably over 70 years old.
The conical one is best used at the end of a log rather than in side grain.
A bolster & cold chisels can also be helpful.

I also use a chopper & lump hammer for splitting firewood logs.

A combination of wedges, chopper & lump hammer were used to split this ash log. Took about 10 minutes.

I use a 6 ton vertical electro/hydraulic log splitter. It certainly takes the back out of it :mrgreen: It will take up to 1 metre logs. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Horses for courses John. :) I suspect you use yours mainly for splitting firewood whereas I only need to split large logs occasionally as in the case of the ash trunk shown.

You got it in one R. But I have what the French call a 'coin' which is similar to one of your wedges that turns as you belt it in. Very efficient too. This is one of them

https://www.amazon.fr/Fiskars-%C3%A9cla ... in+de+bois

Once I get me head straight after our move back to the U.K. I will see what I can really contribute in ideas, but please excuse my sense of humour on this one :mrgreen:

Wobble Chuck or Infinite Axis Chuck

Alan Stratton video - http://www.aswoodturns.com/2016/10/infinite-axis-chuck/
Made from a 2" pvc coupler, cut in half to make 2 chucks.

Tip 023a - Wobble Chuck.jpg

Tip 023b - Wobble Chuck.jpg

Various bottom & top rings to move the workpiece in or out.

Tip 023c - Wobble Chuck.jpg

The idea is that small woork pieces eg pendants, can be hot melt glued onto the moveable end to scribe an arc or multiple arcs.

Tip 023d - Wobble Chuck.jpg

This is a toy elephant's head where the trunk need sanding. Already having the chuck, it was quick & easy to knock up a suitable spacing ring.

Tip 023e - Wobble Chuck.jpg

Attachments

• Tip 023a - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    Tip 023a - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 1,196
  • Tip 023b - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    Tip 023b - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Tip 023c - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    Tip 023c - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 1,171
  • Tip 023d - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    Tip 023d - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • Tip 023e - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    Tip 023e - Wobble Chuck.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 1,172
Tip 027 - Straws.jpg

A visual aid that can be orientated to show grain direction for example the undercut rim of a bowl or inside shoulder of a hollow form so that you cut in the right direction ie downhill.

Attachments

• Tip 027 - Straws.jpg
    Tip 027 - Straws.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1,105
Back