• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Tips & Tricks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
For a few selected tools & selected situations I've started using easy grip 13 amp plugs.

Tip 040a - Easy Grip Plug.jpg

One situation is the gang of sockets behind the wood burner flue.

Attachments

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Pressure relief Valve - used on the dust container under a cyclone or, as in my case, a Thien baffle.

I had a couple of clear plastic discs & some offcuts of metal strapping in the bits box.

PRV 3.jpg

Underside mock up

PRV 1.jpg

Topside

PRV 2.jpg

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Abrasive Cleaner
To clean clogged cloth backed abrasive use a spray oven cleaner. Can also be used on paper backed abrasive as long as you don't get it too wet.
Allow time for the cleaner to work then scrub with a stiff brush.
Also works for router cutters & saw blade teeth. Create a puddle of cleaner in the lid & use with an old toothbrush.

Tip 038  - Abrasive cleaner.jpg

Democritus

Established Member
Reaction score
Robbo
Could you put a photo up showing the shelving under your 1628 lathe. I’ve often thought it would be a good idea.
D

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Robbo
Could you put a photo up showing the shelving under your 1628 lathe. I’ve often thought it would be a good idea.
D
There is nothing special about the shelves. The spacing is governed by flats on the leg castings.
The top shelf is made of hardboard resting on 2 battens. I made it in 2 pieces for ease of cutting out the complicated shape & making sure it reached the back wall. It's not required to take anything weighty but it does allow quick & easy removal of the shavings.
The bottom shelf is an offcut of plywood resting on 2 battens. This does take whatever heavy items I can find to act as ballast.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
An easy to make holder to stop your tools rolling off the lathe. Drill a line of holes in a batten then cut down the length. A batten underneath is used as a stop - or a pair to straddle the bed.
View attachment 67311

The tool handle was made from beech taken from a kneeling stool, hence the dowel tenons. I'll bet there's not another one like it. :)
Good advice..... i found a second hand hairdryer that i keep attached to my lathe, not only is it good for fast clear up but the warm setting is good for 1: warming hands in winter and 2: warming my 5 minute epoxy in winter so it comes out of the bottles better.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Adam. :)
Forgot to add a photo of the rear of the sanding board in my previous tip.
The idea for the board came from Alan Stratton at As Wood Turns.

Tip 44c - Sanding Board.jpg