Quantcast

Tips on the use of new Software:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

bjm

Naturally different
Reaction score
Firefox isn't blocking notifications for me but I can't rule out other add-ons. Given that it doesn't work on another browser (raw - without blocking add-ons) I'll live with it?

Last edited:

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Firefox isn't blocking notifications for me but I can't rule out other add-ons. Given that it doesn't work on another browser (raw - without blocking add-ons) I'll live with it?
I forgot to mention in my last post. I use Ghostery and an adblocker, both of which are enabled, and I don't have any problems with the notifications.

I wish I could help more.

bjm

Naturally different
Reaction score
I can't actually say it doesn't work as I have sent conversations but never received any. I'm only commenting on what the software says about it not being enabled - would that affect the ability to send?

Edit to add: OK, thanks to Noel answering the call it appears I do get Conversations, even though the software tells me 'Push Notifications Blocked'. I just have to click on the envelope to see-it doesn't tell me.

Last edited:

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Edit to add: OK, thanks to Noel answering the call it appears I do get Conversations, even though the software tells me 'Push Notifications Blocked'. I just have to click on the envelope to see-it doesn't tell me.
If you see this in your Account Preferences, then your browser, or an addon for your browser, is blocking the notifications. This notice won't change until you resolve the browser issue.

Push-1.jpg

bjm

Naturally different
Reaction score
If you see this in your Account Preferences, then your browser, or an addon for your browser, is blocking the notifications. This notice won't change until you resolve the browser issue.

View attachment 93370
It would appear not! I replied to Noel and when he replied to me it showed up as a notification (with a superscript number). I haven't changed anything and i still see that in Preferences. Must be a bug?

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry Mike, I should have said. I'm using MS Edge for my browser. I'll follow your suggestions (above) and report back, but as per another post above, though I do see the "please enable push notifications " box on every page, I doesn't worry me at all. I was "just wondering" (always a dodgy thing to do where I and PCs are involved)! :)

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread might answer my question but it seems not :)

What are [Push Notifications]? or more precisely, do I really need them ?

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought this thread might answer my question but it seems not :)

What are [Push Notifications]? or more precisely, do I really need them ?
Great question! You certainly don't need Push Notifications, but it is a nice feature in the XenForo software to keep you informed of any activity on UKW that you are watching when you're not logged into UKW. The UKW previously used phpBB software as the platform, but now uses XenForo.

The Push Notification is separate from any email notifications you enable or any notifications you enable while you are logged in and browsing the UKW. The Push Notification works only when you have it enabled in your Account Preferences and are using the browser. If you are surfing the Internet, but not specifically the UKW, you will receive a notification for any content you have enabled in your Account Preferences. These include, but are not limited to new Conversations, new posts in threads you are watching, and posts in any thread of a forum you are watching. Anything you want to be notified about while you are logged into UKW can also be set as a Push Notification.

If you subscribe to any YouTube content, and allow notification for new videos, this is a Push Notification. As soon as I open my Firefox browser on my Mac computer, I will see a small banner in the upper right corner of the screen for each new notification.

The Push Notification works on all Android devices and almost all computers. It will not work on native Apple products, such as the iPhone, but will work with all browsers on Mac computers except Safari.

Please let me know if this didn't answer your questions.

bjm

Naturally different
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I think I was assuming the Push Notification (or lack of) limited the use of Conversations but it clearly doesn't, it just informs you of any.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Mike. I asked the same question a while ago but it got overlooked.
What, if anything, is the downside to push notifications?
If I browse sometimes on a phone, sometimes on a PC, will the counter on one device stay in step with the other?

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Andy, I'm sorry I missed your earlier question.

I don't know of any downsides to enabling Push Notifications and use it for YouTube. This feature was only recently added to XenForo.

I can't answer your question about the phone or PC synchronization, since I use an iPhone and Push Notifications will not work with the iOS. However, I do switch between a Win10 and Mac computer using Firefox and have never received notifications on two machines for the same event. I think once a notification is sent, there won't be another notification for the same event on a different computer.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks MikeK - Much more of an answer than I anticipated.

I certainly don't need to be told when some YouTube feed has been updated! nor do I need to know that a response has been posted. It is my habit to visit about 6-8 forum threads 3 or 4 times a day (sometimes more) and I keep those threads open - permanently - I seldom even turn my PCs off :)

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need to forward a post to someone. It used to be simple with the post no./link on the top but I can't see how to copy it now?

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to forward a post to someone. It used to be simple with the post no./link on the top but I can't see how to copy it now?
In the upper right corner of the post you want to forward, you will see the post number.

Post-1.jpg

Click on the post number, and the page will re-open with the post at the top of the page. The new URL will include all of the information needed to open a new page with the desired post at the top.

Here is an example of the URL for the post you just made here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/tips-on-the-use-of-new-software.124140/page-5#post-1391646

If you copy the link, you can forward it to anyone. The entire thread will be available for the recipient, but the starting point will be the post you selected.

Latest posts