Tips on the use of new Software:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@RogerS That's what I've been told by someone that may know. But you could be entirely correct.

@SammyQ Trumpian? Really? You have to go that far to make a funny?

Regardless. We won't be connecting to Tapatalk. The icon to save direct link to the forum is very user friendly.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven’t been on the forum for some years, but all of a sudden, daily digests have started appearing in my mailbox, and its rekindled my interest. I do everything on an iPad these days and I’m using safari to access here. Is there an app that works well instead?
I like the new layout and software, well done.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven’t been on the forum for some years, but all of a sudden, daily digests have started appearing in my mailbox, and its rekindled my interest. I do everything on an iPad these days and I’m using safari to access here. Is there an app that works well instead?
I like the new layout and software, well done.
There is no app, but if you bring up the forum on Safari/Ipad and look to the right of the address bar there is a page icon with an up arrow. You can click and hold on that. A menu will drop down and there is an option for adding to homepage. Click on that and you'll have an icon on your ipad's screen. You can click on that and the forum will come up. It's similar to an app, but you get full forum function.

1598452256953.png

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My time zone changed too.
Due to the software change the time zones are all at the default of London timezone. You can go to Preferences and set your time zone, and also while there you may want to check out when you receive an email alert, the daily email, and if you opt out of seeing the ads. Remember to save. Click on Preferences below.

Preferences

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
There is no app, but if you bring up the forum on Safari/Ipad and look to the right of the address bar there is a page icon with an up arrow. You can click and hold on that. A menu will drop down and there is an option for adding to homepage. Click on that and you'll have an icon on your ipad's screen. You can click on that and the forum will come up. It's similar to an app, but you get full forum function.

View attachment 90876
Thanks Angie. That works well

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes thanks Angie. And you can stop the mass of adverts :):):)
I like the daily news though I'm not sure the missus approves. I'm spending breakfast reading the forum.
You can turn off the adverts by going to your Preferences and checking the "Disable advertising" block.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike have just done also its worth in the same section doing Opt out of sidebar -- makes the messages fill more of the screen

Myfordman

AKA 9Fingers
Reaction score
Private Messages are called Conversations in this software.
1. To message/conversation a member you can click on their avatar and a box will come up with Start Conversation will show.
View attachment 89760

Just click on that button and when the title and message box open, fill in and click the Start Conversation button.

2. Deleting conversations - is now Leave conversation. And when you Leave a Conversation you can set it to allow a reply and you see it, or not allow replies and you are completely done with it.
Is there a way to see if the addressee has read your message? with the old software the message moved from "outbox" to "sent" once it had been read. Thanks.

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
Is there a way to see if the addressee has read your message? with the old software the message moved from "outbox" to "sent" once it had been read. Thanks.
no. there was a previous question asking this. I can't remember on what thread but I remember the answer.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marcros I've sent two different PM/conversations and would have expected replies but nothing forthcoming
Conversations on XenForo are private discussion threads as opposed to the email-like exchanges of phpBB or vBulletin. All conversations are private and cannot be read by Moderators, Administrators, or any other forum member.

Unless the invited participants have enabled notifications for new conversations, they will not know a new conversation is available. This setting is in the Preference section of the user account.

Notification.jpg

When enabled and a new conversation is started, each recipient will see a red number on the envelope icon to the right of their name in the upper tool bar that indicates the unread conversations. The number will remain active for 12 hours for each recipient.

Conversation-1.jpg

bjm

Naturally different
Reaction score
On my laptop that blue 'Enable Push Notifications' box says 'Push notifications not supported' !!!

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
On mine (an old Lenovo running Win 7 - yes, 7!!) there's a blue box saying something like "UKW would like you to enable push notifications". On EVERY page.

But I have, several times, in my Profile Preferences, YONKS ago! Need I worry/do anything else? (and do NOT - please - say "Change to Win 10!).

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
On my laptop that blue 'Enable Push Notifications' box says 'Push notifications not supported' !!!
Which operating system and browser are you using? I have Mac and Win10 computers to use as test platforms and will try to duplicate what you see.

bjm

Naturally different
Reaction score
Which operating system and browser are you using? I have Mac and Win10 computers to use as test platforms and will try to duplicate what you see.
Sorry, should have mentioned. I'm still using Win 8.1

On my main browser (Firefox 81.0) it says 'Push Notifications Blocked' (even though the check box is checked!) but this is more likely to do with the script blockers I use (NoScript)?
I tried it out on a fresh browser with no blockers (Pale Moon) and it showed 'Push Notifications not Supported'. That could suggest it is a legacy thing with older versions of Windows? Might be worth initiating a conversation to see if it works? I do get Alerts.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
On mine (an old Lenovo running Win 7 - yes, 7!!) there's a blue box saying something like "UKW would like you to enable push notifications". On EVERY page.

But I have, several times, in my Profile Preferences, YONKS ago! Need I worry/do anything else? (and do NOT - please - say "Change to Win 10!).
Which browser are you using? I no longer have a Win 7 computer, but I miss that operating system. :(

I used to see the same banner you described, but don't see it now. I'll have to retrace my steps to find out what I did to resolve it. However, enabling the push notification, either by clicking on the banner or from the account preferences should remove it.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some screenshots showing what to look for when using Firefox. This might apply to Chrome and other similar browsers.

If you go into the Account Preferences menu and see this, then your browser is blocking the notifications.
Push-1.jpg

Look at the URL to see if you see something like this. The conversation bubble with a slash through it means the browser is blocking all notifications.

Push-2.jpg

Click on the bubble icon and you will see a new window like this. If you want to remove the notification block, click on the "X" to the right of "Blocked"

Push-3.jpg

You should see this window. I recommend clicking on the "Clear Cookies and Site Data..." link and close the browser. This will affect only cookies associated with UKW. Open the browser again and log into UKW.

Push-4.jpg

After going through this, go back to Account Preferences and make sure the "Push Notifications" is enabled. If you see "Disable push notifications" button, then the notifications are enabled.

Push-7.jpg

Latest posts