Tips on the use of new Software:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Are all instances up? I can't access the site from my normal ISP only via my VPN. Wonder if you have load balancer issue.
We changed server and the IP address has changed. What works best is clearing old favorites link, history and cookies. Reboot. Then type in the forum address and it should come to the new address. If that does not work, clearing cache helps, but many do not like to do that.

If nothing is done, in about 1 to 3 days the member's regular Internet Provider will start seeing the path to the new IP address for the forum.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Are all instances up? I can't access the site from my normal ISP only via my VPN. Wonder if you have load balancer issue.
I have checked and everything is not showing yet. We are doing some work in the background to have the articles appear. They may take a day or two to get completely redone. They are a work in progress.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Are the "Sticky Posts" still around? I look after a few in the Hand Tools section - frequently requested advice on restoration and a long list of Hand Tool Reviews. I can't find them at present.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I will have to look. They should have conveyed.

AES

Established Member
Reaction score
Hullo Angie,

Greetings from sunny (too sunny right now) Switzerland.
Not sure about the new software - YET - but give me time please, I'm getting non a bit yer know;-).

OK, after a quick look, it seems like I've lost all the previous threads and topics I've bookmarked in the past - quite a few actually - have been lost in the changed software. Is that correct or haven't I just found Bookmarks yet. Perhaps it's called something else, like PMs are?

Edit for P.S. What does this mean please? QUOTE: UKW would like your permission to enable push notifications. UNQUOTE:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
@AES, Later on I'm going to have to see some photos from Switzerland. Such a beautiful country from what I can tell from photos.
1. Saved threads are lost. If you can use the search feature and find them, then use the bookmark
1597092963720.png
to save a thread or a post. Once you bookmark a thread or post you can make a note about it. Find the bookmarks via your name in the upper corner, click on it and you'll see a tab for bookmarks. Here is where I bookmarked your post from above.

1597093098143.png

Sheffield Tony

Established Member
Reaction score
In my work in progress posts, all the pictures I carefully placed as inline attachments are no longer in line but a pile at the end (viewed on a phone). This makes it rather difficult to follow. But having been through end edited them all once when I had to move the images from their previous home, I don't think I wamt to arrange them again !

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In my work in progress posts, all the pictures I carefully placed as inline attachments are no longer in line but a pile at the end (viewed on a phone). This makes it rather difficult to follow. But having been through end edited them all once when I had to move the images from their previous home, I don't think I wamt to arrange them again !
You could just put your cursor where the image should be, and then go to the proper one and have it post as thumbnail or full size. You won't have to reload them. And if you do not want to do it again ,then the members will probably be able to adapt.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I will have to look. They should have conveyed.
Stickies have not transferred to the top of each forum section page, they are definitely needed there are several years work by members and moderators incorporated in some of them.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
We are working on retrieving the Sticky threads.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you Charlie & Angie.

Much cleaner looking especially if PEOPLE READ THE TIPS on how to make changes. :)

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't see what's happened to Signatures. I can see that mine is still there as part of my profile but I can't see anyone else's, even if I click on their name or picture.
Some members (eg Mike G) have very useful links in their signatures which it would be a pity to lose.

This comment relates to the mobile view of the site.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't see what's happened to Signatures. I can see that mine is still there as part of my profile but I can't see anyone else's, even if I click on their name or picture.
Some members (eg Mike G) have very useful links in their signatures which it would be a pity to lose.

This comment relates to the mobile view of the site.
Click on your Login name, then Preferences...there's a long list...part way down is the option to show signatures. Mine was set to on b default as I can see MikeG's

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Click on your Login name, then Preferences...there's a long list...part way down is the option to show signatures. Mine was set to on b default as I can see MikeG's
Thanks Roger. I followed what you said and found the setting and it's already on. However, no sigs are visible. They do show in desktop view, so maybe that's what you are using.

To ignore someone, click on their picture and it's one of the options that pop up underneath.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
You could just put your cursor where the image should be, and then go to the proper one and have it post as thumbnail or full size. You won't have to reload them. And if you do not want to do it again ,then the members will probably be able to adapt.

This is a really big deal. Some of the forum's most popular threads are now far less intelligible than they were. Look at Steve Maskery's epic workshop build - there are 104 pages of it, that's how popular it was:

It contains hundreds of photos, all uploaded to the forum so they would not be lost, which were all carefully placed in the narrative where they illustrated what was being described. Quality material for which a magazine would have paid Steve cash.

Is there any way in which the original html can be accessed to automatically insert the new picture tags in their proper places in the text? It's unrealistic to expect Steve or anyone else to spend hours and hours editing.

(And yes, the same applies to Tony's excellent wips, but Steve's is the most extreme example.)

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't add an avatar ts either too big or nothing happens when I try to up load an image I have tried really small sizes down to 62.5kb

Pete

Phil Pascoe

occasional purveyor of blunt tools.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Are the "Sticky Posts" still around? I look after a few in the Hand Tools section - frequently requested advice on restoration and a long list of Hand Tool Reviews. I can't find them at present.
For the years I've been here and the all the posts I've made I never did find out what a "sticky" is.

Latest posts