Tips for cleaning disk sander between disks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--Tom--

Established Member
Reaction score
Just swapped the abrasive disc on my disc sander for a new one and remembered how much of a pain it is cleaning all the old one off to get it ready for the new one. Anyone have any tips? Other than acetone and scraping followed by more scraping and more acetone and then a bit more scraping

Heat gun makes changing disks child play. Give the disk a bit of heat and the paper peels right off without tearing up, plus it softens up the glue so it's much easier to remove.

Although you could just burn the glue right off with a blowtorch if you were that way inclined.

I used to use non waterproof PVA to stick the paper on - just chuck it in the sink afterwards and peel it off. Most PVAs now have some water resistance though so it's not so easy as it was. Hide glue would do much the same.

Long ago we could have got hold of toluene for removing the residue and it may not have done us any good in a number of ways,but it worked.These days I would switch to velcro and in fact I did just that a few years ago.

WD40 or similar worked well for me. I lay the machine down so the disc is level and spray on a liberal covering, then go have a cuppa. When I come back the glue isall soft and wipes off easily. Just make sure to degrease well before putting on the new disc.

I think you'll find that acetone is the wrong type of solvent for the adhesive residue. Try white spirit, or turps if you're posh :)

WD40 contains ingredients that are in the same family as white spirit which is why that works, but spirits will be faster acting.

ED65":8c2gyhin said:
I think you'll find that acetone is the wrong type of solvent for the adhesive residue. Try white spirit, or turps if you're posh :)

WD40 contains ingredients that are in the same family as white spirit which is why that works, but spirits will be faster acting.

Interesting, I tried white spirit first and it didn’t do a lot, then switched to acetone and it worked a lot better.

Seems like heat is the next option to try

Back