Tip for height guage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Another tip I have for cheap and useful tools. I wanted a height guage for setting tablesaw and router table + measuring project components against a flat surface. They cost a fair bit as you can see here

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CM192106

So, I made my own. I nipped to B&Q and got a cheap combination square for about £6 and made an oak base. I cut a slot in the base the same width as the ruler section of the combination set and drilled a 5mm hole through the wood. I opened the hole to 6mm on one side of the cut and tapped the other to 6mm. Push the ruler into the slot and clamp with a bolt.

I decided to cut the extraneous bits of metal off the guauge to keep it small.

Works very well and I am chuffed with my bargain basement height guage :D

I guess you could leave the guage whole and remove from base for 'normal' use but I decided to keep my expensive combination set sepperate from the height guage.

Height_guage.JPG

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

It will work fine until you get a bit older! My eyesight would detract from the obvious usefulness of your height setting gauge. I tend to use one of those Japanese squares, make a test cut, measure that then adjust as needed.

BTW - what is your tablesaw? I see a zero clearance insert lurking there and I often wish for one of those.

HI Chris

As for eyesight, I hit 40 a few months back and now have TWO pairs of glasses, one for general purpose and the other for reading :cry: :roll:

Even I have no trouble reading it at all.

Tablesaw is a Kity 419 and the insert was made from my trusty gatepost oak tha thas appeared in a few posts now :D I made it about 9mm thick and reduced the edges where it mounts on the table to about 4mm on the router table. Works quite nicely although I did have to grind a little bit off the back of the riving knife to stop it bindng at max blade height

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the height setting tip, I found with my setup that I didn't need to cut the square frame or worry about the wooden base. Should work with my routertable(Triton) which I will try next time it comes out.

Back