"Tip and Spur" and "Brad point" drill bits ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWood

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had to seek guidance on a drill break out problem (drilling holes in to a spherical surface). Suggested solutions include using a tip and spur bit, but then someone else suggests a brad point bit. Are these the same thing ?

Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob
Yes, as I understand it, "Brad Point" is just North American for "Lip and Spur."
With a steady hand and a grinder, you can make your own from normal twist bits - I believe the super Veritas "Brad Point" bits start out life as normal twist bits.
Cheers
Steve

dunbarhamlin":j07gryjp said:
Hi Rob
Yes, as I understand it, "Brad Point" is just North American for "Lip and Spur."
With a steady hand and a grinder, you can make your own from normal twist bits - I believe the super Veritas "Brad Point" bits start out life as normal twist bits.
Cheers
Steve

Yes, they're not hard to make. But you need to get a thin reinforced abrasive cutoff wheel to do it, such as a Norton A60OBNA2. A magnifying glass clamped to the eyeshield helps too.

Kirk

Hi

Re grinding standard drills is good for those of us with the ability, (not me :( ), a top quality L&S bit will cost less than a tenner, my advice would be to invest in one and then form your own opinion as to whether you want to buy more, (I did :) ).

Regards Mick

Spindle":3medxhij said:
Hi

Re grinding standard drills is good for those of us with the ability, (not me :( ), a top quality L&S bit will cost less than a tenner, my advice would be to invest in one and then form your own opinion as to whether you want to buy more, (I did :) ).

Regards Mick

That's what I did--bought one from Lee Valley. It worked well, so I got the cutoff wheel for about $10 and a friend showed me how to sharpen, then I started digging old dull bits out of dusty tray I'd stashed away. Whenever I need one now, I find an old bit and spend about 5 minutes reshaping the tip.

Kirk

Spindle":zk70zjm2 said:
Hi

Any chance of a tutorial or link :D

Regards Mick

I've been looking but haven't found anything on line yet. (Might be something on youtube, but I can't search there from work.) I saw a demonstration in person, so I don't have a link.

Kirk

If you drilled a clean hole of the desired size through a flat piece of hardwood or plastic and then clamped this tight to the spherical surface you could use it as a drill guide and it should prevent breakout. IMHO

monkeybiter":151roq68 said:
If you drilled a clean hole of the desired size through a flat piece of hardwood or plastic and then clamped this tight to the spherical surface you could use it as a drill guide and it should prevent breakout. IMHO

I'm going to try avoiding that as it has all sorts of difficulties - shape, clamping, aligning and the time to do all that; I know it's a recognised procedure but it has its limitations and I'm hoping the tip and spur drills will be the answer.

Thanks
Rob

I get lip and spur bits from Isaac Lords,yellow pack, German bits called Famag. Tip top. The right size exactly!

Latest posts

Back