Tiny wee woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiba

Established Member
Reaction score
Given the space constraints of my playroom (1.6m x 1.4m), I'm forced to operate at a much smaller scale than probably most other folks do. For a while I've been making variations on the theme of "box", mostly from 5mm thick material. Anyway, my 'ickle dovetails and finger joints are looking OK now, so I want to have a crack at a more substantial project. Anybody got any plans for smaller things that can be built in the tiniest possible space? I'd thought of taking some full sized piece of furniture and making a 1/3 copy or something, but discovered that things don't always scale. Anyway, I have a dim memory of seeing what some people call "apprentice pieces" on the Antiques Roadshow - small scale furniture made as kind of a final exam for trainee cabinet makers. Anyone made anything like this? Any pitfalls? Hints? Tips? Books?

Chiba,

One of the things that Bruce Luckhurst gets participants on one of his courses to make is a small - I'd say 1/4 scale - chest of drawers. It looks really nice and there are no scaling problems that I could see. IIRC it is also used at some point as a veneering exercise - I guess the show surfaces are all veneered but my memory grows dim and as this was not a course I attended personally I have no photos etc.

You might just get a couple of pointers if you contacted him and explained your interest. You can find him here http://www.bruceluckhurst.co.uk/

you could always try making a staircase for a dolls house using traditional methods, or the whole dolls house come to that, using the proper techniques to make the window frames..

jimmer

Thanks, Bruce's stuff look like just the job, especially that Shaker style chest of drawers. A dolls house might be an idea too, although I should really wait 9 more weeks to find out whether to make one of those or a model fort... :wink:

Latest posts

Back