Tiny top quality hinges.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
I'm making a tiny box. For the mrs.
To ask her to be The Mrs. Its been over 20 years now so probably time to take the plunge....
:-"
I have some nice figured maple already cut. (Thanks Custard!) and some bog oak. I'm planning on following Custards excellent guide to lining it too. Bright Orange pig skin. Lol.

Now i need some tiny hinges. Due to the nature of the box i don't mind paying for good hinges. But if i can get good lookers that dont need to cost me brusso prices. Hey. All the better.
\:D/
These look ok.
https://www.nichelocks.com/Cabinet-Hard ... 7n8fe4pjf7

Any suggestions?

Without checking sizes are there any options for a swivel lid anyone can recommend that looks the nuts if i cant fit standard hinges? Planning ommission on my part.
Cheers for the patience. I will remake the box if necessary. This one needs to be the nuts.
Cheers
Chris

7mm.
The internal dimensions of the box are 40 by 65.
Thanks Ajb. I had considered something along those lines . I remember Pete Madexs ones.
I'm starting to wonder brass rod. I have some small diameter in my 'stock.'

oh. that is a challenge for normal hinges. I have some narrow ones for jewellery boxes. they seem to be about 6.7mm each leaf, and a knuckle at about 4mm. if you want to try them, I can pop a pair in the post for you. it is hard to measure them, but you could offer them up and see if they fit- you may even be able to file a mm off each leaf.

they are solid brass, but need polishing to finish. When polished up they look really good. I cleared the last remaining stock of them that I could find- the manufacturer went best a couple of years ago.

They also need some no 2 brass screws which I dont have because I forgot to order any but they should be available easily enough online.

the other thing to look at is the rob Cosman wooden hinge. he uses a jig, but there are probably ways around that for what you need- drilling on a lathe for example

Bm101":3mhnw5r9 said:
7mm.
Thanks Ajb. I had considered something along those lines . I remember Pete Madexs ones.

:?: is that 40 x 65 CM? in which case 7 mm sides aint gonna do the job.
If its 40 x 65 MM, then how are you going to put hinges on that?
I'm pretty sure its not 40 x 65 inches though?

If its the small version, and you havent actually assembled it yet, you could make the lid fit inside the side panels and insert a small brass rod into each side to make the lid pivot on the rods.
Like this one.
https://pbase.com/john_cooper/image/167888917

marcros":2ikjno59 said:
oh. that is a challenge for normal hinges. I have some narrow ones for jewellery boxes. they seem to be about 6.7mm each leaf, and a knuckle at about 4mm. if you want to try them, I can pop a pair in the post for you. it is hard to measure them, but you could offer them up and see if they fit- you may even be able to file a mm off each leaf.

they are solid brass, but need polishing to finish. When polished up they look really good. I cleared the last remaining stock of them that I could find- the manufacturer went best a couple of years ago.

They also need some no 2 brass screws which I dont have because I forgot to order any but they should be available easily enough online.
Marc thats really kind. I'd love a pair if you can spare them. I'll pm you my address. I'm sure i can clean them up to fit and they should be ok. Think I'll get a bag of the Doll house ones Novocaine posted so I'll swap you a few of those when they arrive if you want?
Thanks again.
Chris

sunnybob":ow98kipf said:
Bm101":ow98kipf said:
7mm.

:?: is that 40 x 65 CM? in which case 7 mm sides aint gonna do the job.
If its 40 x 65 MM, then how are you going to put hinges on that?
I'm pretty sure its not 40 x 65 inches though?

If its the small version, and you havent actually assembled it yet, you could make the lid fit inside the side panels and insert a small brass rod into each side to make the lid pivot on the rods.
Like this one.
https://pbase.com/john_cooper/image/167888917
Hi Bob.
They are mitred square sides. I want to spline them so will probably asking more questions later. :roll:
If i was unclear the internal sizes of the box are 40mm in width x 65 mm height (lid's not cut yet) the walls are 7mm thick. Outside width with mitres is 5 3/4 ish cm.
4 cm sounds small but it seems balanced and will easily fit a ten pence. Once lined it should be quite snug.
I didn't want a big clunky box tbh.
Should have planned hinges better. Beginners mistake not planning the whole process...
I made a box once before using rod hinges. It's in Pete Madex's build (including the hardwood hinges mentioned above) on his beautiful peel lid box thread here: peel-lod-box-t113925.html
It's an option if Marcs hinges won't work and I can't copy Petes type.

If you get really stuck Chris, I'll make some to bespoke size for you :)

Can't be that hard... Right?

Instead of hinges Chris, how about a snap-on lid fixed in place by magnets? It's something I've thought about myself for ages and I watched a vid showing it in practice just a couple of days ago and it convinced me that it's a system I'll use myself at some point. After I've located my rare-earth magnets which are stubbornly hiding in a box somewhere!

Bm101":191ri0tj said:
They are mitred square sides. I want to spline them so will probably asking more questions later. :roll:
Spline or keys? Keys give a nice decorative touch, are easier to do and potentially as strong (certainly for small decorative boxes) so I think they're a winner.

Trevanion":b256mqbw said:
If you get really stuck Chris, I'll make some to bespoke size for you :)

Can't be that hard... Right?
Yeh. A minute or 3 eh? :D
That is a very kind offer Mr T. Very kind. I'd be wary of asking anyone to do that much on my behalf mate when i could far more easily make a new thicker walled box. Much appreciation for the offer. Really.
Top man.

ED65":2ulvm68r said:
Instead of hinges Chris, how about a snap-on lid fixed in place by magnets? It's something I've thought about myself for ages and I watched a vid showing it in practice just a couple of days ago and it convinced me that it's a system I'll use myself at some point. After I've located my rare-earth magnets which are stubbornly hiding in a box somewhere!

Bm101":2ulvm68r said:
Spline or keys? Keys give a nice decorative touch, are easier to do and potentially as strong (certainly for small decorative boxes) so I think they're a winner.
Im ever so sorry. Keyed mitres is quite rightly what I was thinking of Ed. Another leson learned... a spline being hidden now I've googled it. Ive already cut down some bog oak square rods. Thinking that I might plane down to triangular to supplement the internal corners. Keyed bog oak (now I know the right name) would match up internal and external nicely. We will see as we go.

I'd maybe not go with magnets on this Ed just due to the fact that for a ring box, unless you could just have the one faultless swivelling corner there is no reveal of the ring if you like. Just think it needs to 'pop' open if possible.

Will see as we go. All valuable lessons Regards as always
Chris

Back