Time to pack it all in....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Zeddedhed

Enjoy your newfound lack of stress, it will be nice to be able to drive away from site and forget about it on the weekends.
I regularly flip flop between getting a real job or keep doing stuff on my own, currently the freedom of time management is winning for me over the lack of stress and more money of a real job, because I have small children.

Speaking to one guy last week who has a tiny lock up he reckons he's had £32000 in handouts and not missed one days work ...... how is this right, bloody madness.
Its all fun and games now but what about when he has to pay it all back ?!

Ollie

Good luck in the new job Zed, the benefits will soon soothe the memories of working for yourself especially if most of it was mundane boring stuff and more time to do things you want to do.

I jumped the other way all those years ago and it was damned hard and a massive shock giving up a high salary, company car and holidays and pension benefits though I did get a lot of satisfaction working 18 hours seven days a week for myself when I look back I'd have been much better off financially had I not.

Enjoy your new found leisure time to the full.

The few trades that I have spoken to since the start are struggling to fit the work in. Bathroom fitter, fencing contractor/landscaper, boiler engineer. All small businesses with a backlog of work. Have things changed as the pandemic has progressed, even last week I have struggled to get hold of fence panels. Not sure if this is increased demand or reduced manufacturing though.
Round here all the trades are flat out, builders have jobs in the 15-25k range falling out of the sky. As one put it

” the lady of the house has been cooking and cleaning for the whole family for most of the year, she’s not had her holidays or nights out with the girls, she’s had enough of hubby being underfoot and they’ve got money in the bank. So she wants the patio,extension,new kitchen, garden office or whatever. To keep the peace the husband ismore than happy to let her have what she wants”

on top of that its often cash, the trades have taken the grants and handouts. To make sure that come end of tax year they have on paper had a “bad year” they’ve bought new vans outright. The number of 70 plate vans round here is unbelievable.

Because he's dishonest?
But I don't think it is, he got in the region of £10k for his lock up, £7.5k self emplyment top up and more for second time.
I know plenty claiming furlough for guys working, thats another story. One company employs family members all working whilst receiving furlough, it's happening in about 15% of companies they reckon.

I fully understand that. Whenever I leave a business, I have always walked away with no fuss and without a backward glance. Look forward with optimism. The past can't be changed. Very best of luck.
Reminded me of being at work some twenty years ago. An acquaintance (not the sharpest tool in the shed) one tea break said if I won the lottery, I'd buy this place - I could run it better. My friend, a very clever chap looked at him deadpan ....... if I won the lottery I'd never set foot in the ***king place ever again. :)

Its all fun and games now but what about when he has to pay it all back ?!

Ollie

I can't see them going after anyone but I hope they do. I doubt they will target one man bands, even big companies will be let off, for fear of companies having to close down.
The fraud is mental, as mentioned never seen so many new vans and ready cash. Seems so unfair, should have been targeted, to announce more handouts without thought is crazy.

Remember the adulterated wine episode of the early '80s? The Austrian firm doing the bulk of it was caught out by a VAT inspector who queried why they were putting so much ethlyene glycol through their books in the summer - its main use is as anti freeze.
I wonder how many people claiming furlough payments for themselves or their employees will get found out in the next few years by the timing of VAT payments? HMRC only need to look at the accounts of their suppliers.

every self employed tradesman I know are in new vans, got massive hand outs and had 6 weeks chilling out and are about to recieve anothe 80% on top of there normal earnings. Speaking to one guy last week who has a tiny lock up he reckons he's had £32000 in handouts and not missed one days work ...... how is this right, bloody madness.
They do not make the rules do they so get off your soap box bob.I have had 2 grants nowhere near that amount just to add.

I guess that could be the case with Fat Bazza the plumber, can't do a job without a leak ............. ,akes sense him pushing drugs .......................

They do not make the rules do they so get off your soap box bob.I have had 2 grants nowhere near that amount just to add.

No they don't, I agree it's not their fault but my point is it should have been targeted, not given out like sweeties. I think people should be aware that MOST tradesmen do not need sympathy at present.

The bespoke work just wasn't enough to keep me going. It seems that the clients who once wanted a replacement front door in the style of the property are now happy to browse the Howdens site and put up with mass produced rubbish.

Hi

I is always a sad day when a skilled tradesman has to shut up shop because people no longer want quality and want something without any delay and cheap. You will now be seeing how modern property is thrown up and people still buy it, you know it is bad when you talk to someone who is doing plumbing work on site and they openly admit they were never trained but have been shown on the job. Well have a good time in the new job and try and keep your hand in with the woodwork if only as a hobby.

I think that small trades businesses are an easy target for HMRC and a lot of them will get found out. It is practically impossible to buy new vans with cash without it running through a bank account as the van dealer will be at money laundering exposure risk otherwise. People may also not be aware of the transaction reporting regime of banks and the direct access of regulators. Eventually in some cases the tax man will come knocking and small business don't have the resources to fight the threats of expensive investigations, fines and penalties.

People should also not underestimate the willingness of neighbours to phone the anonymous reporting lines.

I must say, I have a regular relationship with two plumbers (one does my boilers), a bricklayer, electrician and plasterer. All do first class work and are very busy. However, they all issue proper quotes, invoices and accept card payments. I've not experienced reputable tradesmen seeking cash jobs for quite a while now.

Do you mind me asking what age you are? I'm 53, and worn out.
I don't mind being in my little workshop making things, built in storage , furniture or the occasional door or window (not far from Tunbridge Wells actually).
I just cant do the carpentry side anymore, tired of dragging tools and chop saws out of the van. Today I carried a large flat packed birch ply wardrobe (25mm), and associated tools up two flights of stairs . I can feel myself slowing down. Would love to just design and plan the jobs, but have never found the right people to work with.
Still have a ten year old van (even though Wealden Council kindly gave me 10K ). Plenty of work until Christmas, next year ?

What he said 👆

I had a number of Sub contractors asking me to hold their pay until their self employment scheme funds came through. One guy I didn't pay for around 3 months (he was working full time on my jobs). I thought "honestly, do you think people are so stupid if they were to look at your accounts"

Yes there are many (many many many) tradesmen out there who have made a pretty penny.

I must say, I have a regular relationship with two plumbers (one does my boilers), a bricklayer, electrician and plasterer. All do first class work and are very busy. However, they all issue proper quotes, invoices and accept card payments. I've not experienced reputable tradesmen seeking cash jobs for quite a while now.

Most trades people don't even understand how tax calculations/payments work at a basic level. And that they believe they are "getting one over" on the taxman. "20% cheaper for cash, love" EEEerrrmmm - no theres a tiny little more to it then that mate

I've been round here for a while but not active till recent. My specific connection to this thread is that my brother is a woodworker like yourself Zed - an extremely competent wood worker as I'm sure you really are. He has always struggled and now at 67 he is welcoming retirement.

He did a sell up a dozen or more years ago and then re-started several years later as he fell in with a local landowner who wanted quite a lot of work done and offered him new premises.

I worked with him for a while 30 years ago as 'an apprentice' when the electronics industry went through a dip, and learned to appreciate good machinery.

I'm trying to find a way of getting round to recommending that unless you have totally fallen out of love with wood, hang on to the main equipment as long as possible - it's not that you are going to go back to it professionally, but being able to saw, cut and plane even the most primitive piece of wood is in your blood now and will always be so. Keep a workshop - it's your 'man-cave', and just go out to create some sawdust every so often - just the sawdust !!

Like you my brother was into stairs, special windows, he's just complete a fully hipped roof on what is now referred to as The Folly so I'm guessing from both your stories you are much alike.

I wish you all the best and hope that things work out for you..

Rob

Back