Time to pack it all in....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello forum people. Its been a long old while since I was last active on the forum.

I'd like to be able to tell you that my return is due to a renewed interest etc etc but unfortunately that's not the case.

After much soul searching I've decided it's time to shut down the business and start earning money in a much more regular and sustainable manner. to that end I've taken on a job working for a local developer as a Site Manager. Steady (and rather decent) money, weekends and evenings blissfully free, a company car and all that stuff - I'd be mad not to (or so I keep telling myself)!

I found it increasingly difficult to compete as a small, one man band joinery shop. My staircase work almost totally dried up with the increasing availability of on-line stair and window services, at prices that I couldn't get anywhere near. The bespoke work just wasn't enough to keep me going. It seems that the clients who once wanted a replacement front door in the style of the property are now happy to browse the Howdens site and put up with mass produced rubbish.

I'm too old and knackered to consider going back on the tools on site as a chippie, so it seems the best way to earn a crust with the experience I have was in Site Management.

To be honest although I've gained the security and stuff listed above, I've taken a huge hit in terms of job satisfaction. The quality of construction in development is what I can only describe as 'woeful'. It's going to take a serious re-adjustment of acceptable standards if I'm going to last!!

Anyway, considering all the help this forum has been to me in the past I thought it would be good to let you know what was going on.

Suffice it say that there will be some bits and pieces and machines coming up for sale from me in the marketplace. I'll be keeping the bench and the hand tools though. Maybe now it's time to perfect my hand cut Dovetails and finally use that Stanley shooting plane that's been languishing under the bench.

So sorry to hear that Zed, I wish you all the best in the new job and hope that you are able to keep at the tools even if only as a hobbyist. On the bright side it does mean you have much more time to to spend hear with the rest of us degenerates :rolleyes:

I wish you every success for the future, you're not alone and you'll always have the satisfaction of knowing that you gave it your very best shot.

Hopefully you'll keep working wood in your spare time, and hopefully you'll share your projects on this forum!

Once again, every good fortune for the new job, all the very best!

To be honest although I've gained the security and stuff listed above, I've taken a huge hit in terms of job satisfaction. The quality of construction in development is what I can only describe as 'woeful'. It's going to take a serious re-adjustment of acceptable standards if I'm going to last!!

You'll have to develop emotional detachment at work. :)
Ask me, I'm a window cleaner Zed. ;)
You accept that it is what it is and you pick up your pay and get on with it by listing all the positives. It's not that bad and like you say there are definite advantages too to being a wage slave, so good on you for being positive. Then, when you have far more time on your hands you can start picking up projects that you enjoy doing for yourself. Or whatever else you enjoy doing. Because the phone won't be ringing 24 /7, you won't always be at work or spending evenings chasing work etc etc.
As Custard says, ' every good fortune for the new job, all the very best!'
Now I want to see a spice rack as a WIP, but made only using flint axes and stone age tools you have knapped yourself. It's proper hand tool time!

Vexxed to hear that but good on you for making the jump. On the plus side, if it's a well paying post, take solace in never saying, "oh good*, only four weeks until pay day". And we'll want some photos of your dovetails!

*god

Sad to hear that. I was envious of your very nicely organised workshop just a short walk from that massive log burner! Best of luck though with the new role. Best wishes, Adrian

I know exactly where you’re coming from! And just think, paid holidays – wonderful and people to talk to during the day. Very best of luck and you can now make the things that you enjoy making for yourself. Ian

Sad but one must pay ones bills.As you get older the H&S side of being a site manager is another chapter to adjust to which takes a whole to get your head around.Could luck in your new role

Sadly it happens all to often.....
I had a workshop with 5 men.....spent all my time feeding them work......had a heart attack (41) and jacked it all in.....
eventually worked outta the back of a Transit van, less stress and more money......
Allmost all my skilled mates, Blacksmith, engineers, cabinet makers etc etc......
kinda packed it all in around the same time, most went to Spain or Portugal.....a few odd jobs and loads'a sun.....
why wouldn't u.....? just what I have done.....

Could this be an opportunity to do some sort of Bench.talk101, with a positive spin.

"How to run/set up/layout a joinery business".

You have a wealth of knowledge and experience in all the areas....I'd hang on every word of it.

I never took the leap as It involves so much in some many areas I just don't understand, paperwork, finance in and out, insurance, how to get punters to settle their bills, and most of all...... "what to look out for"......,

I can only imagine my secondary school students will need to run their own companies (from bedrooms and garages), using laser cutters and 3D printers to produce whatever areas the "Technology push or consumer pulls" them to do at the time.

Surely it isn't going to be only I*EA for everything, we have to nurture our young British designer makers of the future ?

Congratulations in graduating to the white collar gentlemen hobbyist club (just need to get a topper and frock coat ).

Regards,
Dave

Sad to hear, if this pandemic keeps on any longer, many tradespeople will end up folding.

I honestly, would not know what to do in that case. Woodworking teacher perhaps.

Could this be an opportunity to do some sort of Bench.talk101, with a positive spin.

"How to run/set up/layout a joinery business".

You have a wealth of knowledge and experience in all the areas....I'd hang on every word of it.

I never took the leap as It involves so much in some many areas I just don't understand, paperwork, finance in and out, insurance, how to get punters to settle their bills, and most of all...... "what to look out for"......,

I can only imagine my secondary school students will need to run their own companies (from bedrooms and garages), using laser cutters and 3D printers to produce whatever areas the "Technology push or consumer pulls" them to do at the time.

Surely it isn't going to be only I*EA for everything, we have to nurture our young British designer makers of the future ?

Congratulations in graduating to the white collar gentlemen hobbyist club (just need to get a topper and frock coat ).

Regards,
Dave

Thank you all for the supportive words and comments - it genuinely means a lot.

To be honest I'd be the last person to give advice about running a joinery business.

With limited space and resources I was basically restricted to producing one-off joinery items - a bespoke front door, staircases that didn't fit the usual basic norms, a window or two that had to match existing ones that were a bit unusual - that kind of thing. This work would make up about 25 - 30% of my work and was by far the most enjoyable part of the job. The bread and butter would be MDF built-ins. Every now and then I'd get to make a bespoke kitchen (maybe four or five over seven years) but it was always a matter of 'bumping along the bottom'.

Very occasionally I got an opportunity to make 'real' furniture, but unlike some on these forums it was never my real skill set and I lacked the experience and talent to make it efficiently.

The enjoyment I got from doing what I loved to do was always seriously tempered by the stresses of little or no free time, low and irregular income and knowing that I was testing the limits of a very patient and understanding wife.

It's not easy to acknowledge that you're not succeeding in business, and making the decision to shut the doors and move on was tough. However, I now have a much clearer head, time with the family, my debts are shrinking at a pace I never thought possible and (lockdowns notwithstanding) a lot more fishing and walking and shooting is getting done. My breathing has HUGELY improved by being in the fresh air most of the time and the kids are looking forward to getting the workshop converted to a den for them and a pottery for their Mum.

Like I said in my first post, a small corner of the workshop will remain mine for hand woodworking, but for now I feel strangely reluctant to spend time in the place - memories, ghosts, whatever. I 'm currently cleaning up machines and tools for sale and it feels strange - sad and disappointing but also strangely relieving.

Onwards and Upwards ......

I fully understand that. Whenever I leave a business, I have always walked away with no fuss and without a backward glance. Look forward with optimism. The past can't be changed. Very best of luck.

Sad to hear, if this pandemic keeps on any longer, many tradespeople will end up folding.

I honestly, would not know what to do in that case. Woodworking teacher perhaps.

The few trades that I have spoken to since the start are struggling to fit the work in. Bathroom fitter, fencing contractor/landscaper, boiler engineer. All small businesses with a backlog of work. Have things changed as the pandemic has progressed, even last week I have struggled to get hold of fence panels. Not sure if this is increased demand or reduced manufacturing though.

The few trades that I have spoken to since the start are struggling to fit the work in. Bathroom fitter, fencing contractor/landscaper, boiler engineer. All small businesses with a backlog of work. Have things changed as the pandemic has progressed, even last week I have struggled to get hold of fence panels. Not sure if this is increased demand or reduced manufacturing though.

I should add that I would far rather have to wait for good trades people than to see them fold. I really do hope that people are managing to keep going.

With limited space and resources I was basically restricted to producing one-off joinery items - a bespoke front door

You could move to Suffolk. So many listed buildings and a local authority that refuses to compromise makes it ripe for someone with skills like that. I still don't have a replacement front door after nearly 10 years of wanting a new one. It has to look exactly like the old one*, because that's what then insist on, and all I can find is the "Howdens" stuff.

At least your weekends are free, got to be something in that. :)

*edit to add it's an ugly fscking thing too.

every self employed tradesman I know are in new vans, got massive hand outs and had 6 weeks chilling out and are about to recieve anothe 80% on top of there normal earnings. Speaking to one guy last week who has a tiny lock up he reckons he's had £32000 in handouts and not missed one days work ...... how is this right, bloody madness.

Latest posts

Back