Time for a proper thicknesser, suggestions ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3ph

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Getting annoyed with my 150 quid combi, it`s time to upgrade, I`ve looked at various other combi machines, but it seems that a standalone thicknesser is a better bet, bigger capacity , easier to move. I can still use the old machine in planer mode so that won`t be wasted.

Looking online it looks like a toss up between a Dewalt733 or a Matika 2012nb, roughly the same price (£400).

Various reviews seem to slightly favor the Matika, as it is quieter and the blades last a lot longer, does anyone have any others that are worth considering or comments on these two ?

cheers

Whilst I haven't tried either the Dewalt or the Makita, i have an Axminster MB1933. It performs well, has a cutter head lock and digital readout for height adjustment. 13" width and 6" depth capacity. It is hellishly noisy though!

yeah the noise is the nature of the beast with these things it seems.

Yeah the axi is 100 quid cheaper, I guess it`s whether the Matika etc are 100 quid better or if there`s not much in it.

I have the Makita, I don't think that you'll regret getting it.

Mine arrived pretty much set up and has worked flawlessly since. Snipe appears to be well controlled (barely visible) and the finish I get on oak is nice and clean, almost shiny. The depth stop, although simple, also functions well, producing evenly thicknessed boards. Extraction works OK too, although the volume of chips produced never ceases to amaze me.

It isn't the easiest thing to shift around the workshop though. It'd put in the category of 'luggable', you certainly won't want to shift it too regularly! And while it may be the quietest of its ilk, it still makes one hell of racket.

Cheers,

Daniel

Cheers for the info, I`m going to go for the matika I think, just need to find a good site to get it from :)

How irritating, it seems most places are out of stock, guess there could be a new model on the horizon ..

Back