Time for a new TV

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for Panasonic plasmas from me - we didn't get a 50" (far too big and too expensive!) but when our last TV broke under John Lewis' generous warranty we replaced it with a smaller version of the same TV mentioned before.

I think the only downside is that - as with all plasmas - it's fairly power-hungry... but it still looks nicer (motion, colour range, depth) than any other TV we saw, and we don't use the TV six hours a day or anything, so it's not so much of a concern for us.

(We've seen I think two things in 3D since we got it before Christmas; it's kind of impressive, but still not that compelling...)

This is my day job, I work in the DVD division of a Hollywood studio. In a few years we'll be seeing a new generation of (affordable!) TV's with OLED screens. Besides being ultra thin (we could have 1/4" thick OLED TV's, but that would actually make the in-unit speakers even worse) they give the most sensational picture quality I've ever seen, really deep velvety blacks and brilliant whites, with fabulous colour fidelity. I saw some examples earlier this year at CES in Las Vegas, and even though most manufacturers are promoting the technology by showing vivid colours, it's the accuracy of subtle flesh tones and earth colours that most impressed me.

Moral of the story, whatever you buy now you'll want to replace in a couple of years when OLED becomes mainstream.

Latest posts

Back