Time for a new lathe upgrade, but which one, help and advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachakins

The most wasted of days is one without woodwork
Reaction score
Hi,
Been hobby turning about 3 years.
Outgrew my Aldi lathe in 6 on the, but got me going.
Got a used record power DML36-SH MK2, learned a lot on it, now looking to move up.
My main love is Bowls, boxes, vases and platters and goblets. Not into long spindle turning.
My budget up to £1000, been searching and the following 4 caught my eye.

Laguna Revo 12/16
Record Coronet Herald
Axminster Trade AT350WL
Jet JWL-1221VS Variable Speed

Main criteria digital variable speed, bench top preferred, large bowl capacity.
So any advice, comments (good and bad) or other options to my list all welcome.

I can't offer any comment on your list as I've never owned any of them. I've had a couple of Record Powers (DML305 & CL4) and I now have an Axminster Trade AT1628VS and I would recommend all of them.
My reasons for upgrading to my current one were -
a rotating headstock, better variable speed control, bigger/heavier, more user friendly headstock thread size to allow me more options.
I bought my last one new but there are always plenty of good deals on Ebay to help your budget stretch a bit further.

I have the slightly smaller jet, the 1014, non Vs. Nice lathe for what I use it for, but I think you will find the 1221 a bit restrictive size wise. Mine feels very small for bowls and you only get a couple of inches more.

Axi used to do an interesting one. 1614 or something like that which may be worth a look. Don't know if they still do it. It had a decent bowl capacity but not too much length.

Just looked, it is the axi one on your list. Looks good but I have never used one.

Steliz":3f45m11y said:
I can't offer any comment on your list as I've never owned any of them. I've had a couple of Record Powers (DML305 & CL4) and I now have an Axminster Trade AT1628VS and I would recommend all of them.
My reasons for upgrading to my current one were -
a rotating headstock, better variable speed control, bigger/heavier, more user friendly headstock thread size to allow me more options.
I bought my last one new but there are always plenty of good deals on Ebay to help your budget stretch a bit further.

Thanks, the 1628vs I think is now this one Axminster Trade AT406WL Woodturning Lathe,
Nice, but over budget.

You mention:-
Sachakins":38urxfnv said:
Main criteria digital variable speed,...

Do you mean you just want electronic variable speed, or specifically a digital readout and 'up & down' speed control buttons.

A caution with the latter, a rotary electronic speed control potentiometer is far more user friendly than up & down buttons.

A rotary pot can be adjusted without looking at it and speed gauged very easily to suit the work with very little practice, the finite speed is really irrelevant and the digital display just an added and unnecessary thing to go wrong.

A rotary dial with say 250-500-1000-1500-2000-3000 rpm marks on it gets close enough speed wise and is an instant adjustment without waiting for a digital display to stabilise.

Also consider the potential life and repair potential of the motor and its control system.

Old technology of a 3 ph motor and variable frequency inverter drive is likely to be a relatively easy thing to fix for years to come.

A DC drive ( like a treadmill motor) or integrated headstock motor has a potential to be a propriety system with a more expensive or limited life capability if the current distributer changes his stock line.

See a thread elsewhere where AES is having to send his metal lathe controller to the USA to get a fix.

Variable speed by all means, would not be without it, it adds so much to the pleasure and ease of use of the lathe.

Thanks Chad, a rotary controller would be preferable for the exact reasons you outline, read out unit is not so important, as I match speed to the blank requirements and it's balance or lack of, to me the wood and vibration dictate speed not an led. So electronic variable speed is looking best, the rest are just prettifiers not essential s.

Ok guys thanks for the advice so far, the Jet JWL-1221VS Variable Speed is off my list, it's good but think I'll get frustrated quickly with size limitations. Also been suggested a CL4-PK/A Professional Electronic Variable Speed Lathe and Stand Package from record power, gives bigger bowl capacity but I don't like the tube bed design, I have that now and struggle to get the expected capacity as chatter sets in which I think is the bed tubes flexing.

Like the control on the laguna Revo, but looking at the layout for outboard turning will mean a big reshuffle in my little shed workshop and not easy to accommodate.

So leaning towards the herald. Unless you can through more light on its pros and cons, or suggest other lathes I should consider.

Used is an option, but not seen suitable one on marketplace, fleabag online classifieds as of yet.
Thanks again for your help so far guys.

Be aware that with the Herald the switch gear is fixed to the headstock. When the headstock is swivelled you have to reach over the spinning wood; not a clever arrangement IMHO. Also the off switch is not a raised button.

Hi Mark, thanks for that point, yes it could be a pain, but there is an extension kit for a second emergency stop button which I was thinking of getting.

I brought the power in through two cable outlets, one right at the end so I could switch off when long hole boring, and the other at the middle of front so I could do it easily with head turned or my left hand occupied. The main switch is an NVR, so it can't be switched back on accidentally.

Sachakins":2f5aakc2 said:
Hi Mark, thanks for that point, yes it could be a pain, but there is an extension kit for a second emergency stop button which I was thinking of getting.
I'm not familiar with that but if it is an emergency stop they normally cut all power which results in losing any breaking built into the electronics which then has to be reset i.e. they don't operate like an on/off button.

Hi, thanks all for your input.
So it looks like the Herald maybe the one.
Speaking/messaging a few suppliers currently to see what deals are available as I will also need chuck upgrade, which I think will be the SC4 package, unless you have any further suggestions.

Is there any businesses you can recommend, as the lowest price is not final factor, a supplier with good support, reliability and helpfulness is also essential imho.

Thanks

Mark Hancock":1cyoneo6 said:
Be aware that with the Herald the switch gear is fixed to the headstock. When the headstock is swivelled you have to reach over the spinning wood; not a clever arrangement IMHO. Also the off switch is not a raised button.
There is a stop button on top of the controls. Not ideal but, as OP says, there is a £40 optional stop button on a lead.
Duncan

We have a Coronet Herald at our club. It is quite a nice little lathe but it is definitely not Heavy Duty as claimed by RP, and has a few quirks, including the control system. It works fine once you've become used to it, but, as others have said, it is not just a bog standard inverter so could be difficult to replace if the need ever arose - although RP do give a 5 year warranty. The ramp up and down times seem a bit slow, which some people find frustrating - and RP said they can't be adjusted when we queried them.
I think some of the inverter settings are overcautious as it seems a bit prone to cutting out on high current when overdriven by a moderately weighty workpiece - not a problem when running or taking heavy cuts, just when stopping. Having only used it occasionally, I would need to play with it a bit more to be sure, but just based upon my observations when used by demonstrators at our club.

It is quite good value for money and is not a "bad buy" but I'd go for the far more capable Axminster AT406. It is considerably more expensive and you have said that it is outside your budget (£1599) but Axi do give 10 months 0% finance. Something to consider if your income is secure - not the case for many at the moment, I know.
If you can wait for the lockdown to end, £1000 will buy you a nice 2nd hand lathe.
Decisions, decisions!
Duncan

Thanks Duncan,
I looked at AT406 and the new Coronet Envoy, both nice but above budget.
However, your points have made me pause for thought.
I have looked around at the used ones, but don't see much out there, a few good Union Graduates etc but way too big for my shed shop I expect.

There's a Union Jubilee on bookface for £200 - looks like it needs a new motor and who knows what else but it doesn't look like it's ready for the scrapheap just yet.

Duncan A":9wrjss7g said:
Mark Hancock":9wrjss7g said:
There is a stop button on top of the controls. Not ideal but, as OP says, there is a £40 optional stop button on a lead.
Duncan
I commented on that above.

Mark Hancock":2zelyda4 said:
Sachakins":2zelyda4 said:
I'm not familiar with that but if it is an emergency stop they normally cut all power which results in losing any breaking built into the electronics which then has to be reset i.e. they don't operate like an on/off button.

Hi, I got a Herald in the end, and tested the aux stop switch. Just to let you know the aux stop button does activate the internal breaking, and it doesn't interfer with the electronics..

Latest posts

Back