Time for a new lathe...advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm now looking for a new lathe as the Axminster AVWSL (the bench top one) does not have a large enough capacity for me, although I really enjoy using it. I want one with a movable and rotating headstock as I am limited on space and I want to be able to move around the workpiece. I was thinking about the the Axminster AWVSL 1000, but a knowledgable friend says that he thinks the torque may be rubbish at low speeds as it is single-phase and it does seem a bit too good to be true at £260. Does anyone have any experience of this lathe or have any suggestions please? I know that people often advise to go secondhand, but I don't know which lathes to look for or what good prices would be.

I saw Warco products at the Harrogate tool show last Nov and they seemed well made. They do a 1100B lathe for £459 which looks heavier-duty than the Axmnster, but I have no experience of the company and nor does anyone I know.

All advice gratefully sought, thanks.

Noggsy

Noggsy,

I have had an Axminster AWVSL1000 lathe for the past eighteen months or so. I have turned bowls and platters up to the maximum capacity of the lathe (14" diameter) and done small amounts of hollowing out, all without too much problem. I have not experienced any torque issues at low revs. (I do tend to take gentle cuts on stock that is out of balance - maybe this helps).

The biggest problem with the lathe appears to me to be the overall weight which is not heavy enough to damp out vibrations of unbalanced pieces of timber. I keep 50kg of bagged sand on the shelf to help to reduce vibration, but bolting it down would be a better solution. The only other issue I have come across is in trying to use a large diameter forstner bit in the tailstock. I find that there is a little play in the tailstock and/or its 2MT taper which is aplified by the length of the jacobs chuck and the forstner bit and allows the bit to vibrate slightly - so I do not get the diamter of hole that I am looking for.

Apart from these two issues I have been very pleased with the lathe which I use about 4 to 6 hours a week and has given me no major trouble at all.

Mike.

Mike, thanks for that. So that sounds like it might be a good intermediate step for me, given the price? Also, the chuck I've got will fit it, so that's £100 saves as well.

A lot of the folk on here are using lathes from axminster and record power and are very happy with their lot.
If you check out the Sticky for members lathes it will give you some idea

Eugene, thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Blister, no, it doesnt have to be new, but I don't really know how to judge a second hand one in terms of how robust it would be or on price. Any suggestions of what to look out would be gratefully accepted.

Noggsy, I have a SIP lathe it is multispeed with
a swivel head. A good solid piece of kit and I
think it is in your price bracket.
Willy.

Latest posts

Back