Time for a new Drill & Impact driver....what's your thoughts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using a Dewalt DC988 for 15 years for DIY work and it's been a great bit of kit. The gears are getting hard to engage now but the big problem really is the batteries don't hold a charge for long. I've got a range of dewalt battery powered tools, impact driver, circular saw, SDS drill so I've about 8 batteries that I've just condensed to 4 that will hold a charge long enough to do a few jobs.

So I'm going to get rid of the old Dewalt stuff and replace it but I only really want to get a new hammer drill and impact driver. I have a corded SDS and circular saw which I'm happy with.

I was tempted to stick with Dewalt but every place I look the big 900 series drills are out of stock and the comby kits only seem to have the 700 series drills.

Every review I watch there doesn't seem to be a brand or model that's and out'n'out winner. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

I'm sure I'm going to get a mixed responce but what's your thoughts?

I wouldn't assume the quality of dewalt is the same now as 15 yrs ago, I used a lot of nicad dewalt combi drills which were great, but were replaced as a whole lot for lithium about 4 yrs ago, the chucks are definately not as good at all, everything else seems ok.. Also check out trustpilot for dewalt, not what I expected at all Dewalt is rated "Bad" with 1.7 / 5 on Trustpilot

If I was starting from scratch I'd be looking at makita for the low to medium budget / use, or milwaukee fuel or festool if you can justify the cost

I wouldn't assume the quality of dewalt is the same now as 15 yrs ago, I used a lot of nicad dewalt combi drills which were great, but were replaced as a whole lot for lithium about 4 yrs ago, the chucks are definately not as good at all, everything else seems ok.. Also check out trustpilot for dewalt, not what I expected at all Dewalt is rated "Bad" with 1.7 / 5 on Trustpilot

If I was starting from scratch I'd be looking at makita for the low to medium budget / use, or milwaukee fuel or festool if you can justify the cost

Festool is just crazy money. I do have other Makita tools and I'm happy with them.

I spoke to roofers recently who told me they'd switched from Makita to Dewalt as new DeWalt is "better by a mile". However, I have a jigsaw with a badly buckled sole plate and a drill with a chuck that's shot - they're only two years old and not used industrially.

While I can't speak to the quality of them all, I don't think most would go wrong with any of the larger names like Dewalt, Makita, Bosch Blue etc. I'd just stick to whatever battery format you're on if any. The only dewalt tool I've used recently was the big 1st fix nailer and its was fine for the 3 months I owned it.

For workshop type stuff I just use a 12v Bosch blue drill driver and impact driver. I have the 18v versions as well for larger tasks or drilling into brickwork that doesn't require an SDS.

I wouldnt trust trustpilot (harhar) with only 79 reviews against a brand name. The unfortunate thing with many trustpilot reviews especially for a brand like that and rather a retailer is its either trolls or someone whos had a negative experience and you wont be seeing those that have had a good experience. Every tool there is going to be someone with a negative experience but I wouldnt let that sway your decision.

I swear by DeWalt from a value for money perspective in particular, no doubt there are some brands which may be built to a better spec (Festool/Milwaukee) but DeWalt offers more in terms of value for money as the tools are great quality. That paired with the fact they have by far the biggest range of tools so should you ever need something else they probably have it and you can buy a bare tool without the need for a new battery combo which is generally pretty costly.

I have all DeWalt simply on the grounds of thats what i bought first many years ago. I upgraded to Lion about 10 years ago. I have never had an issue with them. I have 995 drill, 885 driver combination. I also have the jigsaw, circular saw, reciprocating saw, angle grinder, multi tool and second fix nailer. Mine have had some heavy use though not on a day to day site basis.
I don't think you can really go too far wrong with all the main brands.

from all my years out on building sites to now being a caretaker DeWalt get my vote, great value for money, if I couldn't have DeWalt I would go for Makita, but that's because they are the two brands I've known best for the best part of 15 years.

I think you also need to differentiate between the DeWalt DIY and pro range, Bosch green and blue,

They are miles apart.

In fact my Stanley is probably better than the basic DeWalt drills.

Don't think Makita has a basic drill / driver.

Cheers James

Over the last couple of years I’ve been upgrading to Makita brushless 5ah cordless tools mainly because of their range, so far I‘ve bought 7 tools & not had a problem with any, the batteries certainly last a lot longer between charges presumably down to the tools being brushless & the batteries having extra ah to my previous cordless tools.
As I’ve said it’s the range of tools Makita make that prompted my decision that & the fact I can buy most of their tools bare, without batteries & charger certainly makes for a very good saving,all that said I’m sure the other mainstream brands make equally good tools.

I think you also need to differentiate between the DeWalt DIY and pro range, Bosch green and blue,

They are miles apart.

Cheers James
DeWalt has a basic range which are the white tools I believe. I've found Makita normal stuff sits similar to the DeWalt midranges and DeWalt pro stuff is better

They are miles apart.

Cheers James
Easier said than done, my dewalt drill has metal chuck and gears, brushless, 65mn torque. All of these were I thought a marker of quality. Anyway, bits still fall out of the chuck

DeWalt has a basic range which are the white tools I believe. I've found Makita normal stuff sits similar to the DeWalt midranges and DeWalt pro stuff is better
do you mean makita white? I've never seen dewalt in another colour than yellow

I was just about to place an order for a Makita twin pack (Makita DLX2176TJ 18v 2x5.0Ah Brushless Li-ion LXT Twin Kit) and then I watched these videos and now I think I'm back to Dewalt!

I can get the Dewalt DCF887 impact driver and the Dewalt-DCD996 combi drill with four 5Ah batteries and two chargers for £10 more than the Makita twin pack. I'd have to buy from different suppliers.

Back