Time for a new blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an earlier version of that saw and use the Freud LP60M 96T. It has a 2.8mm kerf. I get a really clean finish with the blade, but have had a tooth come off when a small offcut went under the back of the blade. I lifted the saw too early after doing a cut. I have had the same blade for years. The saw is used daily, moderate DIY use. The CMT blade gets very good reviews.
I have two evolution saws I use for metal, so can't comment on a blade for cutting aluminium apart from avoid all the generic brands, get a quality manufacturer.

Cheers for the reply, Freud has been my go to for blades for my other saws, recently tried the cmt grooving blades on the table saw and got good results, they are around the same price so I was hoping someone may have tried one

It looks like a very good blade and gets very good reviews. I'm surprised no one has come back with info on a suitable blade for aluminium. You need a different tooth geometry than for wood, but I don't really know what's best.
I know the Freud cuts aluminium quite well because I cut the end off the sliding fence the first time I tried a compound angle. 😁

For an extra £15, you might as well get the chrome saw plate with resin-filled slots, a much better blade, and it doesn't whine like cheaper blades.

CMT 285 Saw Blade chrome D-300 d-30 z-72 B-3.2

Cutting metals is a completely different kettle of fish, aluminium and lead cut quite freely with regular blades, brass, bronze or copper would ideally need a blade with a neutral or negative rake angle to prevent grabbing, anything harder like steel needs an entirely different machine with a slower spindle speed.

I use Saxton blades as they wear very well and for the price you can have a selection so you’re using the correct blade rather than compromise for each cut.

Cheers for the advise the cmt 285 looks good, am leaning that way currently. I was intending to get another blade for aluminium, previously I've used crosscut blades with good results but it takes its toll on the blades. And I have a separate saw for ferrous metals (older stayer chopsaw dedicated for the purpose). Really appreciate all the input, keep the knowledge coming :)

I was going to suggest evolution blades for metal cutting but it looks like they won't fit due to the 30mm bore. Now what I'm about to say maybe considered heresey, but have you considered Makita as your personal saviour? I've recently started using a Makita track saw and so far it's great, it comes with an Efficut blade with a nice 1mm kerf and so far is doing a great job. They also do blades for metal cutting, which I've not tried but could be worth looking into.

Otherwise I use Saxton blades, they do a good job for a good price. Have considered Freud as well but navigating their site to work out which blade to go for started to give me a headache.

Latest posts

Back