Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I know we have covered this subject a lot before, but I thought I'd share this with you.

I thopught I'd try another timber supplier, always used British hardwoods before. I reviewed some of the suppliers that were given in a previous thread and contacted a company called Good Timber. It was their write up, selection of timber and the next day delivery service that attracted me.

I asked them to quote for the following. 30m x 3 3/4 x 3/4 of sycamore in 3m lengths.

Promptly the quote came back and it was costed at 301.15 pounds, this was to include vat and delivery. I duly checked BH and their price came out at 173 pounds.

I know the BH are slow on delkivery but a difference of 128 pounds is a bit over the top.

has anyone else experienced this?

Waka

I have recently had a sour experience with a timber merchants.

The company situated in rochester (no names) confirmed to me that they were open on saturdays. So after buying 2 x 150x50x1.9m lengths of beech and ash (previously) I borrowed a mates truck and went down there (on a saturday) to by 25 lengths of beech.

I found the site office and the call went out for the site foreman. He seemed very friendly (a different chap from the one who sold me the 2 lengths previously), and started to ask me what i wanted.
When I explained what i wanted he seemed happy enough until I told him the amount I wanted...........
He then gave the customary:
(big intake of air) "............ we may not be able to do that on a saturday........."

Apparently they only have a "skeleton" staff on saturday, and there won`t be enough men about to service the order. (I did`nt want it cut, just the rough sawn timber AS IT COMES out of the pack). For health and safety reasons I could`nt shift the timber myself.......

I begged and pleaded to no avail. He seemed all interested until it dawned on him that he MAY HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ON A SATURDAY. :?

I was LIVID

I was then told that the only way I could get such a quantity was to place an order at the visitors office.

The order goes something like this:
25 x [ boards anywhere from 150mm to 200 mm wide, 50mm thick, by anything from 1.5 to 2.3 metres long]

(This is all because I`m not allowed to help the guy who prepares the order, and I did`nt want to pay a cutting/waste cost......)

heres the funny bit, the price was anything from 450quid to 750 :cry:
but get this..... delivery was free!

surely there must be a better way to buy wood?

regards
steve

Waka

Are you sure that the low quote wasn't for unplaned whist the high quote was for planed timber? This might well explain a lot of the difference

Cheers

Tony

Steve,
Only one way to deal with a company like that-tell 'em to stick it! :evil:
Vote with your money!!(and your feet)
Philly :D

Back