TIMBER!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well, "Poplar timber" to be specific...

We lost a big (60+ ft) poplar in the storms.

Can I use it for anything? I'd like to make something out of it to remember the tree by - we still have three other poplars, but for how long?

It fell perfectly: Just missing a couple of my beehives by 1m on one side, an old magnolia by 1m on the other and then also a lovely cloudberry tree. Also missed the silver birches nearby (but not so concerned about those).

Even though it's 50m from the house, I felt the floor in the kitchen shake every so slightly and instinctively knew something had fallen...

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-19 at 10.04.38.jpeg

Your lucky it didnt split into large bits They have a habit of almost exploding as I found out a few years ago. The timber is fairly soft as its fast growing. I planted some as a shelter belt years ago and they grew at least 8 feet a year. In 10 years they were over 80 feet. They were a hybrid called TXT 32 (now named balsam spire) which was specificly bred for the match stick industry. If I had known the speed of growth and the root run I would never have planted them!!. I cut them back to about 20 feet apart from one which was too close to the railway. Luckily when it fell down (exploded into bits) it landed in the field. Dont think railtrack would have been very impressed if it landed on the tracks.The others are now 50 feet again so are coming down to ground level as soon as my tree cutting mate has a minute

We had a large one come down just up the road blocking the road. It snapped off about 8' above the ground. It came down at 2.30pm and was sawn up enough to open the road by 4pm.
Brian

Poplars usually nice clear straight grain, it's very good as a secondary timber for stuff like draw sides etc

We lost a big (60+ ft) poplar in the storms.
Can I use it for anything?
Looking at the image of the fallen tree, the branch growth seems to be close to vertical, aka fastigiate. This makes me wonder if the tree is a Lombardy poplar (Populus nigra)? If so it's unlikely to yield usable furniture or joinery wood, although you might get stuff you can turn or carve. Of course, I could be wrong and it's not Lombardy poplar, but the appearance is making me a little suspicious. Slainte.

Looking at the image of the fallen tree, the branch growth seems to be close to vertical, aka fastigiate. This makes me wonder if the tree is a Lombardy poplar (Populus nigra)? If so it's unlikely to yield usable furniture or joinery wood, although you might get stuff you can turn or carve. Of course, I could be wrong and it's not Lombardy poplar, but the appearance is making me a little suspicious. Slainte.
I'm inclined to agree - I measured the fallen tree and it's 29m tip to toe. There's a lot of it...

Most of the branches have exploded off it already, though #2 son will be back this weekend to help me process it. Will still need to borrow a mini digger for the roots and to tidy up the not insignificant hole left.

We moved here 30 years and the trees were big when we arrived. I'm inclined to think that they're 50-60 years old at least, so approaching EOL. They were part of a windbreak (prevailing wind is SW so they're to the South of the property) for the market/kitchen gardens that used to be here - many were lost in the October '87 storm, but this is the first poplar that's been lost here since then. We've lost lots of other trees over the years - Willows, Horse Chestnuts, Oaks, Cherry, Silver Birch, Spindle, pear, apple etc. but we've planted 100s more.

Last edited:
There are lots around me, and they all fall over after 20 years or so - wind is not their strong point. Your tree doesn't look like the ones around me, which are more like this, which is allegedly the Lombardy Poplar.

Lombardy-Poplar-Tree-1.jpg

I have some from a neighbour - really nice, straight wood, very white, and it made a great outdoor rustic workbench. It's also spalted, which is nice. How long it lasts is open to question - everything seems to enjoy eating it.

It's a useful 'secondary ' wood if you have some way of planking it. I have used it for drawer sides etc It's cousin Aspen is a lovely white wood but very soft.

Back