Timber Yards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
I will be travelling back from Leicester to Newcastle tomorrow, any timber yards en-route where I would get some European Ash, preferably air dried ?

I will be travelling back from Leicester to Newcastle tomorrow, any timber yards en-route where I would get some European Ash, preferably air dried ?
There is a thread on here about timber yards around the uk. Not a huge user of the forum but should not be hard to find.

It’s not in a direct line and you will need to check that they have some, I know they have American ash but it’s kilndried and very nice indeed, Somerscales Northeast Lincolnshire 01469 560704. Ian
Ps they have some strange opening times re-breakfast and lunch time, so beware

Albion timber in North Sheffield has lots of air dried ash in. I was there today

A1M?

Duffields usually have some (not sure if air dried though) - 5 minutes away from J50 A1M . I would ring before hand to see what they have though - last time I called in about a month or so ago - the cupboard was pretty bare!

@Joshjosh , what are Albion like? I live 20 minutes from there and keep planning to go, but never get round to it.

Very good,
Nice selection of native air dried timber, and they'll order in imported stuff if needed. David is the owner and it's pretty much a 1 man operation with lads in when it's busy which keeps the costs nice and low. For prime kiln dried timber I use my local yard ossett hardwoods but for anything else I always use Albion timber

Just wondered why people are clamouring for air dried timber? I suppose it’s ok for a garden bench or something, but the moisture content can be anywhere from 18 to 22% which is not a lot of use for indoor work, I bought some air dried oak once as it was all I could get and made the mistake of leaving some on my cast-iron tablesaw overnight – big mistake, red rust the next morning.
Just to put it into perspective at 20% moisture content, 1/5th of that lump of wood in front of you is water. Ian

I generally use Whitmores at Hinckley. They have massive stocks, a good range of sizes and the stuff is generally good quality.

I self-select, but you have to phone up for an appointment to do that.

You have probably left Leicester by now, so maybe one for next time.

There is also Lathams at Kirby Muxloe

Back