Timber Yard - Headings Required - Please Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

custard":ly9pkica said:
Sawdust=manglitter":ly9pkica said:
I think it would be very beneficial to many if there was a sticky similar to "The List" of online tool sites, but for timber yards or good sources of timber which was sorted by region and stated things like what kind of timbers stocked, choose the timbers yourself or not, online order etc??

+1

I am going to produce a list of timber yards, along the lines of the tool store list/woodworking exhibition threads. Could you please post into this thread any headings that you think might be useful to helping you decide whether to use a particular timber yard? Once the headings have been decided, I'll start asking for the yards.

Thanks,

Neil

WIP please ignore

[tr_center][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] Prices [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr_center][tr_center][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] Hobby [/td][td] Self [/td][td] Home [/td][td] Online [/td][td] Visible [/td][td] Domestic [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][td] Turning [/td][td] Size [/td][td] [/td][td] [/td][/tr_center][tr_center][td] Region [/td][td] Timber Yard [/td][td] Postcode [/td][td] Town/City [/td][td] Friendly [/td][td] Selection [/td][td] Delivery [/td][td] Ordering [/td][td] At Yard [/td][td] Hardwoods [/td][td] Softwoods [/td][td] Exotics [/td][td] Blanks [/td][td] Of Yard [/td][td] Speciality [/td][td] Comments [/td][/tr_center][tr_center][td] West Sussex [/td][td] W L West [/td][td] GU28 0PJ [/td][td] Selham, Petworth [/td][td] Yes [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][/tr_center][tr_center][td] North Yorkshire [/td][td] Duffield Timber [/td][td] HG4 5JB [/td][td] Melmerby, Ripon [/td][td] Yes [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][td] - [/td][/tr_center]

Great that you are committing to do the donkey work Neil!

The most obvioius heading must be location by region. It might be ueful if they could be rated by how "hobby friendly" they are eg self selction or not. Perhaps species stocked, but that could get very complicated.

Chris

If you go up to the very top tab bar, next to "forums" is "local...". Click there, then on "Timber Merchants" to get exactly that.

Now, it may not be up to date ...

I never knew the local section even existed!! Have taken a look though and it definitely hasn't been updated for a while, or atleast it needs updating for where i am in Wales!

A list would still be beneficial though i think. And thanks Neil for taking on this task.

In terms of headings, i think maybe the following would be beneficial...

- Size of yard (i.e. small/medium/large)
- Self selection of timber (yes/no/by appointment)
- Home delivery (yes/no)
- Online orders (yes/no)
- Domestic Hardwoods (yes/no)
- Softwoods (yes/no)
- Exotics (yes/no)
- Turning Blanks (yes/no)

That would be a good start i think anyway

It's there and not too badly up to date for Midlands but missing some. And of course this is the adverts of the stores. Certainly each one in Local should be on our new list, but the key thing is that Neil's list should contain members' judgements and experiences, e.g. "hobby friendly". Perhaps a "comments" section for members to add to (then the list owner does not have responsibility for individual comments)?

Yup, the top local list is definitely in need of overhaul. i just clicked on Bristol and came up with a guy in Ilfracombe north devon. A good 100 miles of bad road away.

always interested in the price of hardwoods European oak and beech, have used Deep in Wood at cumnor Oxfordshire run by james wood nice chap and very helpful. Also have brought oak from timports at castle eaton near Swindon. Looking forward to seeing your list it seems quite a task.It is a good idea for all UK workshop members to from a good supplier at reduced rates either on line or visit there yard if close to where you live

Whether it has prices online, and whether prices are visible if you go there in person.

Ease (or otherwise) of getting in contact - it must be easier to get an audience with the Pope than with some of the one man band operators.

Access - thinking of a certain Pembrokeshire yard which must have claimed a fair number of exhaust pipes and dents in sumps over the years.

Well volunteered that man.

Re: Local tab, had a look in there, didn't see a great deal for Lincs in either East Midland or Yorkshire/Humberside; is it really as I feared and a barren area for wood?

Sawdust=manglitter":19uymd9j said:
I never knew the local section even existed!! Have taken a look though and it definitely hasn't been updated for a while, or at least it needs updating for where I am in Wales!

It says there's nothing within 50km of me, seem accurate enough :-D

NazNomad":lwb9hmsc said:
Sawdust=manglitter":lwb9hmsc said:
I never knew the local section even existed!! Have taken a look though and it definitely hasn't been updated for a while, or at least it needs updating for where I am in Wales!

That close?

NazNomad":udd8ropt said:
Sawdust=manglitter":udd8ropt said:

Surely Timberman in Bronwydd (outside Carmarthen) is closer than 50km from you?

Blockplane":i366ccwm said:
Can't really call Timberman a timber yard though, can you?

Ok, so it may not be a large timber yard, but they have plenty of native oak and ash readily available as well as boards/slabs of random other things in limited quantity. They may not have a large selection of species, but on top of being great for turning blanks i'd consider it my nearest decent source of timber

Back