timber worktops from reclaimed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillfirm

Reaction score
hi Folks, I'm new to the forum but came across it while looking for info on how to make a kitchen top from the salvaged joists from my roof that's been removed.

In fact, i put a post on last night and now cant find it!

The timbers are pine (i think) and I'm just looking for some views on whether you think I'm mad trying to do this - while I am DIY handy I dont currently own any decent kit like routers or biscuit machines and there doesnt seem to be an idiots guide anywhere for doing it.

the tops I need are 1800x600 and 1800x1000, the first with a sink mounted underneath and the latter with a hob set in.

the timbers are probably 6x2's.

any thoughts or guidance would be gratefully received!

Hi Stillfirm

yes you can make worktops out of any wood however they are normally make out of hardwood. i made solid ash worktops for my kitchen out of 2x2 ash strips and they look great.

in relation to the roof joists i personally would not use them for making kitchen worktops for several reasons

1) you do not know what they may have been treated with and any chemicals on them could transfer onto food placed on the worktops.
2) if they are not pressure treated you could in theory plan the contaminated outer edges off but by the time you have done this you will end up with something just over an inch thick and is it worth all the work and wastage
3) in my opinion pine is just to soft to make a worktop out of unless you are going to the trouble of making butcher block tops.

based on what you have said either shelve the idea or if you are happy the timber has not been treated you could consider planing the timber down and making a butcher block worktop but this is a lot of work and a pig to get flat over large distances.

hope this helps

jon

I agree with Jon

Whilst certainly possible, it isn't something I would ever contemplate. It's basic construction timber and not suitable for use as kitchen worktop surface and food prep areas imo.
Might be better to look for some cheap s/h hardwood tops and refurbish them.

Bob

I agree with the opinions already offered.

Years ago, a friend of mine who was in training as an architect thought it would be nice to make worktops by deep-ripping some 'glulam' beams - they are the sort of composite, laminated beams you see spanning concert halls, theatres etc.

They stayed flat just long enough to be fitted - and then twisted and cupped so much he had to rip them all out again!

And in case you're still searching, your other post is here.

i would quite happily make worktops out of the reclaimed timber i would joint it properly seal it properly i would expect some movement in service and would hope that this was minimal but i have a history of doing this and a fully equipped workshop and maybe that`s where i have an advantage over you. good luck
all the best
rob

Rob Platt":3v7oplki said:
i would quite happily make worktops out of the reclaimed timber i would joint it properly seal it properly i would expect some movement in service and would hope that this was minimal but i have a history of doing this and a fully equipped workshop and maybe that`s where i have an advantage over you. good luck
all the best
rob

hi i agree that with proper jointing they would be fine however the main issue here is safety, they could have been treated or come in contact with anything. If they were going to be used for anything else then i would agree they would be fine but do you really want to prepare food on something where you do not know what its been exposed to. i know i woundnt. may be we worth considering for the wife though.

guys thanks for yout inputs - hadnt really thought about timber treatment, though I had considered whether it would be hard enough.

maybe i should as you say shelve the idea (is that a word working term? :D )

thanks though!

Latest posts

Back