Timber Trusses (possibly of interest)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don’t worry, I’m with you, anything like that I find fascinating I just couldn’t get the first one to do anything for 10 minutes so gave up, I find that’s often the way with newspaper articles. 86,000 tiles on that roof, staggering and it’s amazing it’s still standing after all these years. Ian

you'll have to forgive me is this is not what this forum is about. it's just I get excited by old bits of wood and wonder if I'm the only one:
https://adriancolston.wordpress.com/2016/05/22/grange-barn-the-oldest-barn-in-britain/

I live in Coggeshall and have visited Grange Barn, even though I wasn't into woodworking at the time of my visit the scale and craftsmanship is absolutely incredible. If anybody ever finds themselves in the area I would highly recommend paying it a visit, it's really interesting and there's even a small museum opposite the barn which is dedicated to a master woodcarver who lived in Coggeshall.

Really looking forward to visiting again once covid eases up.

I live in Coggeshall and have visited Grange Barn, even though I wasn't into woodworking at the time of my visit the scale and craftsmanship is absolutely incredible. If anybody ever finds themselves in the area I would highly recommend paying it a visit, it's really interesting and there's even a small museum opposite the barn which is dedicated to a master woodcarver who lived in Coggeshall.

Really looking forward to visiting again once covid eases up.
I have been longing to visit! it's inspirational just from photo's.

Please don’t worry, I’m with you, anything like that I find fascinating I just couldn’t get the first one to do anything for 10 minutes so gave up, I find that’s often the way with newspaper articles. 86,000 tiles on that roof, staggering and it’s amazing it’s still standing after all these years. Ian
"86,000" staggers belief! :]

Thanks for posting - this kind of stuff is facinating especially when you start to think about the construction and methods of raising the beams at the time

Back