Timber Supplies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Anyone recommend timber suppliers at sensible prices in Cornwall or UK ?
Hardwoods such as ash, elm, cherry etc.
I see oak furniture on sale imported from Eastern Europe at prices far cheaper than I can buy the timber for.

Not sure where you are in Cornwall, but I use Atkins Cripps in Saltash.
Their prices are competitive and they offer a good service. Ash was particuarly last time I checked with them.
Cheers
Gidon

Ah, Cornwall. The timber merchant-free zone... Personally I use British Hardwoods in Yorkshire; mainly because you can rely on them not to send you duff stuff or charge you a ridiculous price for delivery. Not necessarily the cheapest, but if you haven't the tools to deal with sawn stuff their PAR is very good. For oak, you might want to try Boconnoc Woodlands who have air dried oak, sawn only IIRC. I just haven't got round to trying them yet, but I believe they'd deliver. Between Dobwalls and Bodmin. 01208-872507. For sawn 1" thick beech, cherry, oak and walnut in various widths, there's an outfit in Falmouth who make worktops who'll let you pick and choose out of opened bundles. It comes from Winkleigh Timber IIRC, and is a reasonable price. The 1" limit could be a problem in many cases though. Can't remember their name, so no details but if you're interested I can find them out. Other than that auctions are your best bet for cheaper timber, but there's always a risk if you don't know how it's been stored etc. FWIW, Scott Woyka who works professionally in Falmouth goes to Oxfordshire in order to get decent timber, so there really isn't a magic spot to go :(

Cheers, Alf

Hey Gidon,

Have you tried Anton Coaker near Princetown at all? His ad in Yellow Pages sounds terribly promising; air dried, home grown, hard/softwoods, oak, ash, beech, douglas fir etc. Wide boards, burrs... Just wondered as it's more in your neck of the woods than mine (no pun intended :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf
I've spoken to him - he also has a portable saw mill which you see at some of the county shows - quite impressive thing. Prices seemed ok - but was slightly put off that it wasn't kiln dried. I spoke to a professional chair maker a while back in Tavistock who said that his (Anton's) wood was a bit variable - ie there was no guarentee on how long it'd been air dried.
I may actually purchase a little from him to see for myself. You're right though - he's just down the road!
I like A & C's - they have stacks of wood and will help you look through it for the good stuff. Worth a look in if you're ever anyway near Plymouth.
Cheers
Gidon

Yeah, air dried can be a bit hit and miss. Lovely to work though... <pause to drool at thought of having a stack of assorted air dried timber piled in the garage> I suppose you could build a solar kiln... To my shame I've never yet gone to a county show. You can take the me out of the city, but you can't get me to appreciate cows and sheep! :lol:

Now, how the heck do I make time to go to Saltash and where can I get a very large lorry and a pile of cash to make it worth my while... :? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

If air dried was a lot cheaper I would consider it but it doesn't seem to be ... Solar kiln - now that's an idea! Will a greenhouse do?
The Cornwall country show is still a bit of a trek for you. Once a year is easily enough for me. And I usually go because I tell myself there's going to be lots of wood related stalls there - never are though!
If you do get to Atkins and Cripps these are their current prices for some typical woods (sawn):
Am Wt Oak £18.94
Cherry £46.96 (!!)
Idigbo £14.85
Iroko £24.09
Maple £33.33
Ash £15.03
(That's / cu ft for 1" thick)
Cheers
Gidon

gidon,

I have used Atkins & Cripps, their Bishop's Stortford branch and I think the prices you have quoted are plus VAT. I must agree that they have a good stock of timber and are very helpful.

They have a bulk pack scheme, as I understand it you can order any mix of timber to make up 30 cu ft, they then deliver. I did not ask about cost of delivery but the driver is happy to pass the timber off of the lorry a board at a time, you don't have to fork lift it off.

30 cu is quite a lot but as it can be a mix its not quite so bad. I was going to try and get some friends interested in a few cubes next summer.

Back