Timber suppliers in/around/near Leeds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Joined the forum a little while ago but this is my first post. I'm looking for recommendations for suppliers of timber - hardwoods and the like rather than the general PAR softwood I can get from my local Travis Perkins/Selco. I think that's it! Planning on giving the wooden plane project on the English Woodworker site a go.

Cheers!

welly

Ah brilliant, no not too far at all. My folks live up that way. Perfect, thank you!

British Hardwoods just off the Aire Valley Trunk Road twixt Keighley and Skipton isn't too far for you (it is for me, Cambridge)

Not been but I'm up that way next week so will drop in to see if they have any useful turning blanks. Their website makes it look all about flooring but click on the native hardwoods tab and read the blurb - looks like it might have what you want.

https://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/

Just seen the previous suggestion, Duffield look interesting too but I doubt I will get time to call on the coming trip.

Arnold Laver in Bradford advertise 'hardwoods and oak' - I know they used to do a varied range of specialty timbers because my father in law worked there - but he retired 35 years ago so likely its changed. Looking at their website it looks highly unlikely that they actually stock anything you might want.

Hi mate I'd recommend Albion timber in Sheffield, it's a one man band years ran by David, mostly native air dried timber but also has standard foreign timber (cherry ect) , very friendly guy will happily let you rummage around and offer advice. I live in South Leeds and find it quicker to get to than duffield timber ( although it's also recommend this yard prices are slightly higher but it's a larger operation.
Cheers Josh

not sure where in Leeds you are, but British hardwoods would be my first visit. lavers are ok, but certainly in Leeds, they have some hardwoods in square edge boards- sapele, oak, maple and maybe a few others. I have always found them to be very expensive. I think that lavers at bradford has greater stocks of hardwoods.

Pretty much central Leeds, I'm on the cusp of Armley (not the prison!)

I am kirkstall (not the abbey), so not a million miles away.

I'm in Middleton leeds if either you guys fancy a passenger who will pay the fuel costs give me a shout. I'm disabled and don't drive so pretty much knackered for getting anywhere. Great to know there's a few woodworkers that are oop north.
Glenn

I don't have a car but I do have a car club membership so can hire a car/van whenever I need to, I'll give you a shout when I'm going to head to the wood shop @FatmanG! It'll probably be after next week as I'm a bit skint at the moment! More than happy to give you a lift somewhere.

Brilliant mate I will go halves with you welly give me a shout when your ready mate im 100% there

Back