Timber sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all.
I am new to woodwork and need a bit of info.
As my work is CAD I want to draw before I build. I have been looking at timber sizes and from shop to shop there different sizes. My question is.

Is there a standard timber size chart from the smallest to the biggest and sawn to finished size?

This would be good as I can setup my cad system with all the standard profiles.

Rogera,
I think most of us here buy our timber in the raw (from sawmill) then machine down to workable sizes....if i'm working from a cad drawing i cut my wood to suit the cad drawing... not draw to suit my wood.

If you cant machine your timber go to where you will most likely buy your timber from and ask them to give you their standard sizes but i think even here you will find a lot of discrepencies...it might be better asking them to cut and mill to your sizes from your drawings

I like your idea of setting up your cad system to suit your timber sizes which would be easy to do if you milled your own...youll also find 90% of wood you buy will need some sort of remedial work done to it. ie wood stored on shelfs at timber yards are usually warped.

sorry to burst your bubble but unless your timber supplier can guarantee their sizes and warp free you wood be better with at the very least a planer thicknesser

regards

Ian

Thanks Ian

I thought as much. Its a bit different to steel.
As I have just started out I have purchased a table saw, two routers one for my CNC project, a small bench drill,a bench sander and disc and a scroll saw. I do have other tools like planes and stuff.

You mentioned a planer thicknesser, This I have been looking at. Are they very noisy?

rogera":h8y8iqpf said:
Thanks Ian
You mentioned a planer thicknesser, This I have been looking at. Are they very noisy?

yes they can be when wood is run through them.....benchtop thicknessers tend to have brush motors and can be very noisey but planer thicknessers tend to have induction motors which are a lot quieter but once timber is put through them hearing protection is advised.

Ian

rogera":3lnrrul5 said:
As I have just started out I have purchased a table saw...

...You mentioned a planer thicknesser, This I have been looking at. Are they very noisy?

It's likely that your tablesaw will be noisier than a planer thicknesser.

Gill

I think thats my next buy.

I have just visited your site. If I made a work bench like that it would be in my living room. Fantastic items.

just a note. The links to your home page don't seen to work.

Well I'm off to do a bit of CNC router building.
Thank again.

I'm different from Ian - much of my work is made to suit the wood available at the time!!! Contracted work is different, of course, but for the home I lay out the rough pieces all over each other to see how the grain patterns and colours work together and I only have a rough idea of what I want to make - the wood will more often than not determine the eventual size and design details. Sometimes I'll make something I never intended if the wood 'speaks' to me...

Back