Timber prices seen at Yandles July 2005

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
prices per cubic foot. Boards are 2" thick other thicknesses available not priced here.
Ash £26
beech £25
birdseyemaple 1" thickness £110
bodo £44
bubinga £35.70
chesnut £36
cherry usa £63
ebony macassar £300
elm £36
Goncalo alves £36
imbuya £39
indian laurel £106
iroko £27
jelutong £30
lemonwood £49
lime £34 3" thickness
maple usa white £48.95
oak english £40 including machined to customer sizes. sizes usa oak £52
padauk waney edge £35 ovangkol £30 unmachined to size
panga panga £35
pau amarello £40
pau rosa £38
purpleheart £35
ropala lacewood £50
sapele £36
satinwood £120
rosewood santos £120
rosewood sonokelling £110
sycamore £33.50
steamed pear £44
tulipwood £23
walnut african £30
walnut usa black £61
yellow pine £23.25
yew POA
zebrano £36

All prices are 2" boards unless stated.
All prices plus VAT
Cutting to sizes extra but seemed to have one straight edge plus
one planed side.

I am very surprised by the apparently low cost of some of the exotics! I cannot really believe that Goncalo Alves for example (on threatened species lists), is available at £36 per cu ft - if at all in the thickness indicated.

Are these prices perhaps not all per cu ft but maybe for odd sizes for turners etc.?

waterhead37":37rheq5o said:
I am very surprised by the apparently low cost of some of the exotics! I cannot really believe that Goncalo Alves for example (on threatened species lists), is available at £36 per cu ft - if at all in the thickness indicated.

Are these prices perhaps not all per cu ft but maybe for odd sizes for turners etc.?

Checked my price list and I do not appear to have made a typing error,
the price of a 2" blank x 5" also shows at £2.06 plus vat.

Chris
They have Gonc on the shelves at Yandles-planks as well as blanks. I can confirm they those prices are correct.
A Habitual Yandles Spotter :roll:

waterhead37":226ttj51 said:

Last time I was there Chris (3weeks ago) they had darn great slabs of the stuff staked in the shed. Also some very nice 1" Yew through and through boards, but I would think the Yew may have moved by now they were so attractive.

waterhead37":1bf1nx37 said:
Chas,
I feel a visit coming on!

Do check before you travel that distance if you need a specific. Not a massive stock level in the self service sheds and it obviously varies in variety mix dependant on what is surplus to their stock prep for orders.
They may need a day or so to prep a specific.

Having said that I am not averse to the 1 1/2 - 2 hr trip there just to have a browse as part of a day out.

Quote from Yandles Site: You may be interested.
FIRST EVER YANDLES/GOOD WOODWORKING SEMINAR TO TAKE PLACE SAT 13th AUG 2005 GOOD WOODWORKING STAFF PRESENT FOR MASTERCLASSES ETC. THERE WILL BE MANY SPECIAL OFFERS ON THE DAY SO PLEASE PHONE AND BOOK YOUR PLACE EARLY AS PLACES WILL BE LIMITED AND WE ANTICIPATE A BIG RESPONSE FOR THIS UNIQUE EVENT

I just gotta ask.....I looked thru the list and don't know half the names...but they all sound like neat species....I also don't have a clue how to convert to US dollar but what my basic ? is:
What hardwood(s) are considered common in England?
Like here in Michigan I can get my hands on Redoak, Poplar, Maple, Cherry, Ash and Walnut fairly easily. The walnut being the higest price of all of them and Ash being the cheapest. Just kinda curious...
Lin

Hi Lin
Hardwoods are not available at most local shops-we have to hunt it down!
In the UK Oak, Ash and Beech are the most available local timbers with Sycamore, Yew and Poplar turning up at out local mill a lot (Yandles).
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Thanks for the answer.
Lowes and Home Depot both carry the woods I mentioned plus WRC also...But I do not generally buy from there..prices are to high. Myself and others will get together to visit one of the mills to purchase in quanity to get our best buy. I am in a scrollers club and the guys are always coming across some type of deal....I also due a bit of traveling at present to get large panelsed wood for some of my projects. I order from a man who makes panels for the cabinet industry when I need the larger panels. He gives me a good deal on the wood and saves me all his throw away stuff that he cannot use because of a small blemish. I always make something for his wife and him when I go to pick up my order. One of our fellow scrollers just purcahse a Wood Mizer...I think that is the name and a kiln.....The avalibility for me is getting easier. I have never heard of Yew.....Will have to check it out online to see what it looks like. Cherry and Oak seem to be the two I have on hand most of the time....Of couse everyone wants walnut...Do you guys use purpleheart much?
Lin

Lin, the reddish log in this pic is Yew.
DSC00707.JPG

Evergreen and poisonous wood, Used extensively for topiary, Fairly hard dense wood very prone to cracking if not dried correctly, beautiful to turn and finish if you can get it without cracks.

Traditionally grown in English churchyards.

Used as a major component of the traditional English Long Bow.

Lin, just multiply the £ price by the current exchange rate of 1.75 and you'll end up with the US$ value. Be interesting to compare.

Rgds

Noel

I like the Yew......it has some chacater in it.....too bad it cracks so easy. Can't you use thin CA glue in the smaller cracks when turning to stabilize it?
I take it cu feet and board feet are not the same....I came up with $91.00 per cu foot for oak.....thinknig it should be divided by 12 to get borad feet. Which would be Approx. $7.58 per board foot. I've been paying around $5.50 per board foot most of the time...I does go up and down..but not by much..sometimes I get in on a great deal..most of the time it's cherry and have gotten it for $1.50 a board foot. the boards generally have some small splits in them here and there and sp wood but all and all its a great deal when found. That's part of the reason I have so much cherry stored.

Going to buy my first planer ever tomorrow....Wish me luck on my buy and hoping I can figure out how to use it...
Lin

Lyn:

If you were to add our dreaded sales tax(vat) @ 17 1/2 % to the price of $5.50 cost would be $6.45 so your prices are looking about 10% cheaper.

Latest posts

Back