timber planing and router lettering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
Long Shot but I think worth the try.

Hi, I a hobbyist I have two bits of 9x2 timber (approx 1m long) I would like to have planed so that I could join them. As I haven't got a planer thicknesser I have tried to find a sawmill that offers this service but to no avail.
I would also like some words routed onto a window box but I haven't got the right aid to do this.
Can anyone help with either of the above?

I live in East Herts SG11

Thanks.

What tools do you have? Do you have a hand plane? Do you have a circular saw?

With regards to the routing, are you planning to do this part yourself? Paying somebody to do it is probably going to be prohibitively expensive so painting the words on may be better if you don't have the kit or don't want to do it.

I have a circular saw which is quite cumbersome and also an electric planer which I tried using on another project this morning and I just didn't get on with it. I even changed the blade but wasn't impressed. Or maybe it was my lack of skill......
I might opt for a stencil and paint the words on. I toyed with getting the template as i have a router but I can't see myself using it that much.
So I am guessing that a hand plane is the way to go?

It is the traditional way to go but it isn't the idea task to learn handplaning on.

I have used a track saw in the past to join long boards. Cut each one straight, butt them together (should be minimal gaps) and run the saw between the boards, the blade cutting both pieces at the same time. It is easy with a track saw but I don't see why you couldn't do the same with a straight edge and your circular saw.

Alternatively you could find a joiners shop who would probably run it across the pieces for a packet of biscuits.

You can route words freehand quite well by eye if you use a V bit and have a line to follow. A bit of chiselling to clean up the ends of each letter to get rid of the circles will help.

Electric planers work fine. The key is to take off very small amounts in depth and don't go over the same bit each time. Use a belt sander or random orbital sander to clean up after that if you are not confident with a hand plane.

rs6mra":3n8vpo0c said:
........I live in East Herts SG11

Thanks.

You're about 45 minutes from me (near Sudbury). If 90 minutes in the car is worth it for a bit of planing I can stick it through my thicknesser for you. I don't think you'll find anyone to do your routing FOC......so free-hand it.

Apologies but what I failed to state is that I wanted to glue the wider part of the timber together.
Mike G your offer is quite tempting but thanks very much as that project can wait.
The wife has just seen the window box and is happy with it so I think i'll forget about putting the 'cherry on the cake' ie. the letters.

Thanks very much for your imput.

Back