Timber near Manchester?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanky

Established Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for timber supplies near North Manchester?
Would love to turn up and ask for some lengths of timber, pay and go. Does that exist?
I am using beech 2" square for cutting into cubes. Also using 60mm x 15mm beech to cut (lots of) toy cars. I have been cutting/planing my own pieces from offcuts recently, but just too much work.
Also looking for deck boards or similar for planters.
I have used b&q/wickes for decking - big price increases recently.
Treestation for hardwood, was good, but was overcharged £40 on the card machine (genuine error), but they didn't reply to calls/messages/emails, so left with bitter taste. Also used Arnold Laver, and very happy with them, but don't know if they still do small amounts for good prices.
Doesn't have to be beech, but I find dust is manageable, and it cuts and finishes well.
Hoping someone can recommend.

Have you tried trafford timber they have a few sites one at Stretford by the Old Cock and they bought out Portwoods at Stockport quite a good range of hardwoods and they have a warehouse/machine shop in Trafford park

I've had the same experience with treestation in terms of lack of communication, I've given up on them, there's one near lyme park tomlinson parbans maybe worth asking them for a quote, one of my problems is not knowing of enough timber suppliers in or around manchester so this thread could be useful.

Thank you. I had not heard of them. I will drop in there some time. Sounds exciting.
A long time back there was a timber junkyard around Gorton. Lovely staff there, but can't find the place anymore. Used to get bits from old furniture etc. Fantastic way of recycling. Maybe closed down?

Last edited:
There is a timber place up in Heywood if that isn't too far from you.

They list on eBay.

Ive went there years ago.

Cheers James

The parent company of Trafford Timber is Illingworth & Ingram who are in Trafford Park where the machine shop is .The branch at Stretford have a clearence room where over production profiles and most are hardwoods

Tomlinson Parbans are fairly close to me and I know the guy who runs their joinery business.
I don't think they stock beech, but will order it for you. They may have it in small quantities.
Worth giving them a call if you don't mind travelling that far - they are in High Lane, which is south of Manchester. https://www.tomlinsonparbans.co.uk/

Depends what you mean by North Manchester. British Hardwoods at Cross Hills nr Skipton sounds like a long way but from Prestwich or Bury it's a pleasant trip up to the M65 and over the top, maybe an hour or so each way. Their website majors on flooring, but as the name suggests they do Hardwoods and will sell small quantities. Car park full of massive tree trunks when I last went, which gives you a nice warm feeling that they aren't just a shed full of bought in stuff.

Would need to call first, I wonder if their "odd bits" room is open, distancing and all.

Any suggestions for timber supplies near North Manchester?
Would love to turn up and ask for some lengths of timber, pay and go. Does that exist?
I am using beech 2" square for cutting into cubes. Also using 60mm x 15mm beech to cut (lots of) toy cars. I have been cutting/planing my own pieces from offcuts recently, but just too much work.
Also looking for deck boards or similar for planters.
I have used b&q/wickes for decking - big price increases recently.
Treestation for hardwood, was good, but was overcharged £40 on the card machine (genuine error), but they didn't reply to calls/messages/emails, so left with bitter taste. Also used Arnold Laver, and very happy with them, but don't know if they still do small amounts for good prices.
Doesn't have to be beech, but I find dust is manageable, and it cuts and finishes well.
Hoping someone can recommend.
Hi I know they are not in Manchester but I have recently used a company from Cumbria called. tools and timber.co.uk. They supply Ash, Oak Sapele,Beech and tulip in rough sawn and PAR. Ive had Oak Ash and shapeless par and it was superb quality not a bit of waste . Definitely recommend. Good luck.

Hi I know they are not in Manchester but I have recently used a company from Cumbria called. tools and timber.co.uk. They supply Ash, Oak Sapele,Beech and tulip in rough sawn and PAR. Ive had Oak Ash and shapeless par and it was superb quality not a bit of waste . Definitely recommend. Good luck.
Another thumbs up for Tools and Timber from me. Excellent quality and good service. Their delivery charges are also reasonable if (when it’s possible) you don’t want to visit.

Went to Heywoods on Friday. No hardwood other than slabs that won't/can't be sawn. Next stop Trafford or Tools and Timber.

+1 for British Hardwoods - I went a couple of months before Covid struck and stocked up on sawn cherry, so I've not been since. They were very helpful and I shall be returning once lockdown has ended.

A bit further afield from you, but probably no further than tools and timber is Duffield Timber near Ripon. They do exactly what you describe in the OP. They have a warehouse with (usually) a very good selection of timbers , all priced for you to select, pay and takeaway. However, they did stop stocking beech in this area of the woodyard. When I wanted some I went on a weekday (when the yard and not just the "cash and carry area" is open and staffed). I went down the yard, picked the pallet of beech I wanted to sort through - they brought it to the cash and carry area, and from there it was simple enough to pick out my boards, pay for them etc.

I would always go to Duffields, but the last couple of times they had really poor stocks of sawn cherry, and were planning to hold only waney edged cherry in future. Hence my trip to BH.

I travel from Cumbria to Duffield Timber because they have a good range of wood and it's cheaper than other suppliers in Penrith, even when taking fuel into account.
There's Latham Timber in Leeds, they have excellent quality wood.

I've bought from Treestation a couple of times (happily) and am in the process of getting some wood cladding sorted which is taking a long time. Having spoken to them last week, there are struggling with treework combined with covid restrictions meaning that the timber yard is all but closed to the public and they are slower than normal dealing with requests (skeleton staff etc). I think in the next few weeks, once the bird nesting starts (and tree work stops) and the potential lifting of restrictions, they should be able to help with timber requests.

Also +1 for Atlantic timber in Altringham. they cut so often have off-cuts available at good prices as well.

Pre-Covid visited Treestation and bought a nice spalted beech board. And I just placed an order for some larch sleepers from them - happy on both occasions.

Atlantic timber I've found good for softwood, but a quote for oak a few weeks ago was quite expensive (to be fair they acknowledged as much themselves). I bought the oak I needed from toolsandtimber and was pleased with their service.

but I have recently used a company from Cumbria called. tools and timber.co.uk
They are very close to the M6 junction for Penrith so an easy run from Manchester so long as you avoid the rush hour south of Lancaster.

Come off motorway, keep left and head west on A66, first roundabout turn left on 592 past Regedd centre and head for the Alpaki centre. Nice stop off is the Tebay service station, it is unlike most others because no rubbish from BK, Kentucky fried rubbish or Mc rubbish, but probably not whilst we have this virus.

Latest posts

Back