Timber Merchants in the East Midlands?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMK54

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd be grateful for any pointers towards timber merchants in the East Midlands who sell high quality timber and won't rip off a 'newbie'. Also is it too much for a merchant to allow me to examine and select my timber, and then for them to deliver my 'prize'? Or should I just phone through an order and trust a reputable merchant to deliver 'joinery quality redwood' that is 'just what it says on the tin', but live with the fact that 10% will be good enough for show, 60% good enough for bracing and the rest for practice pieces?

Nixon Knowles used to have a place in Melbourne. I used their Nottingham branch for 30 years. They are called something else now, I forget what. You can select and they will deliver. Charge for small quantity, but over £100 free delivery.

Fitchetts, also now called something else BIFW, will select for you and deliver, but you can't just go in and roam the stacks as you once could.

There is also a sawmill at Tansley, I've not used them yet.

For the very best selection take a drive down to Whitmore's at Hinkley. You can select, or save money by buying boards as they rise.

Lots of choice.

Cheers
Steve

Last time I was in Fitchets (just before xmas) I was free to roam the racks, and I am not a regular or anything. Not good for the wallet, large planks of walnut, for example... :(

Ah, that's interesting. Perhaps the new management has a more sensible approach to H&S. Certainly there was time when you had to tell them what you wanted and they would go off with a side-loader and bring a few boards out you you in the car park. Good news!
S

Hi,

Brooks Brothers (ex Fitchets) where very good to me, brought a complete pack of pippy oak for me to go through. Matched the price as well.

Pete

Hi,

Fitchetts are good, or were when I last went there.

I have bought ash and oak from Midland Timber in Burton (as well as decent softwoods and board material). They don't keep a massive stock of hardwood, but I have never struggled to find what I needed and the price is reasonable.

regards,

Colin

Back