Timber in and around Leeds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus Lee

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the board and fairly new to this whole woodworking game. I've completed a few little projects successfully now with cheap ply, mdf and pine and want to use some more expensive materials - birch ply, walnut, cherry, etc, etc. The only trouble is I'm finding it difficult to find some of these things locally...?

Anyone around the area have any tips on places to go where I can see these materials in person rather than just ordering off something like woodshopdirect...?

Cheers for any help,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

see the Stickys thread here reference-information-stickys-t112422.html

There are 2 in there - how to buy hardwood and a list of timber yards too.

Also +1 for Duffields. I travel over 100 miles round trip to them they have a great selection, reasonable prices and you can pick which boards you want from the racks. If there is something you are after that isn't on the rack, then (on weekdays at least) they will fetch you some from the main yard.

When you say Leeds, which side are you on? British hardwoods is one I would suggest which is Keighley.

Hi I live in Leeds
And as mentioned Duffield Timber in Ripon is great
The other guy I’d recommend is Albion timber in Sheffield (25mins from me I’m Middleton) this is a one man firm , a young guy called David
Great selection of air dried timber
Josh

Blackswanwood":20ex6mn1 said:
Scawton Sawmill near Helmsley are always very helpful.
In working my way through 10 cube of their oak at the moment. Been good quality so far.

Related, has anyone tried the Quatersawn Oak Company in Edale? The clue is in the name, website says £55 a cube for waney edge quarter sawn which seems pretty decent.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I look forward to paying these a visit.

Has anyone got a good source for Plywood around here? Different face veneers like maple, walnut or the hipster birch ply favourite?

Cheers,
Marcus

There is an Arnold Laver in Leeds, they do your run of the mill hardwoods like oak, sapele, bit of walnut etc. They also have veneered ply and birch ply.

Back