Timber Identification help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nozzle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys tommorow im going to post a couple of pictures of some tree trunks ive been given and i would appreciate some help identifiing them.
but first i need to to know if someone could point me in the right direction as to how to post the pictures.
thanks
Paul :wink:

Hi Paul and welcome , If you click on the Sticky link at the top of the main page scroll down to where Welcome is written in green and you will get a full frontal :mrgreen: posted by Jenx .
Hope you enjoy your time here . 8)

Well I looked Eugene, but I couldnt find any instructions on how to post pics. I did however find Jenx's post and liked it so much I nicked a bit for me new signature :mrgreen:

Paul, just below the box where you type your post you will see the 'upload attachment' section. to post a pic simply click the 'browse' button, locate the pic you want to add, then click the 'add the file' button. repeat if desired.

once youve uploaded a pic a new 'place inline' button will appear. you can use this to (surprisingly!) place the said piccy in the body of your text, by placing the flashing cursor where in the text you want your pic, and then click 'place inline'.

there are other ways too but i wont overload you with info.

BTW , hello and welcome :)

thanks for the replies guys!
I took the pictures with my camera but it wont let me upload it , it says its too big a file to upload.
so what shoud i do next ?
thanks
Paul

Nozzle":1s5os37g said:
thanks for the replies guys!
I took the pictures with my camera but it wont let me upload it , it says its too big a file to upload.
so what shoud i do next ?
thanks
Paul

resize the photos on your pc, to say 640x480. gimp, picasa and most photo software will let you do it, or even free online stuff like http://www.shrinkpictures.com/.

That done the trick!! thanks nev
The timber is about 4 ft high and 6 inches diameter. but im not to good at working out what it is when its in its natural form llike this. so any help would be appreciated. :)
phpG4gyY8AM.jpg

phpyBXLvKAM.jpg

Attachments

• phpyBXLvKAM.jpg
    phpyBXLvKAM.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,093
  • phpG4gyY8AM.jpg
    phpG4gyY8AM.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,109
Chrispy":32j99epb said:
I think you will find it's Beech.

Hi there, can i ask if this is a guess or are you pretty sure? its just the bloke who gave it to me wants to know if i wan t the rest of it.
hes got 3 more of this size to give me :)

ill split a piece of tommorow for further investigation. lol i dont know why i didnt think of that

Looks like it might be Holly to me Paul.
Beech is a more pink colour,and going by your piccy it looks a creamy/milky colour.
Does it feel really heavy and dense?

No i dont think it feels very heavy to me or dense to be honest but that might just be me.
well ive split a piece or two off to expose some side grain and here are the results :
phpMqT4LDAM.jpg

phpI6bONiAM.jpg

Anyone have any ideas now? because im still none the wiser!

Attachments

• phpI6bONiAM.jpg
    phpI6bONiAM.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 963
  • phpMqT4LDAM.jpg
    phpMqT4LDAM.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 943
No it's not Beech. #-o The grain looks just like Ash, not to sure with the end grain tho. so thinks now it may be somthing like Whitebeam.

I'd go with mountain ash. Which is quite a find as it is very hard to come by, it's used a lot in the alternative scene for witchcraft and pagan items.

Well if it is mountain ash then im quite pleased as the bloke has got 3 more of the same size to give me!!! :D

its not really something that can be determined 100% unless you post it off to some university for analysis at some cost.

the riven timber strikes me as ash.

adidat

Back