Timber Identification help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a very small branch in the car boot at the moment, I'll chop it tomorrow and post a pic after work so we can compare it, mine is definitely mountain ash, I know as I planted the seed for the tree some 25 years ago at my mum and dads.

oh i know it cant be definietly worked out online. but i mean if a few people were to say it is mountain ash then thats good enough for me.
the more opinions the better :)

deserter":29pxa0ou said:
I have a very small branch in the car boot at the moment, I'll chop it tomorrow and post a pic after work so we can compare it, mine is definitely mountain ash, I know as I planted the seed for the tree some 25 years ago at my mum and dads.
thanks very much, it will be very helpfull!!

From the first photo I was fairly sure that it's ash (immature tree rather than a large one). The end grain shot seemed to confirm it and from the side grain ones I'm sure of it. The open grain that can be seen in the side grain shots seems to be exactly like the ash that I've turned and seen in the past.
I've only turned mountain ash once and it had a lot closer grain without that wasn't open in the same way that ash is.

Does it really matter?

Take the bark off a piece, plane or adze it fairly flat on the outside, knocx off the corners, mount it between centres and attack it with a roughing gouge and then assess its figure and workability.

If it looks good and works well, then you've got a bargain find!

5e07025f-b16d-f2fd.jpg
5e07025f-b17a-14a0.jpg

5e07025f-b184-be33.jpg

I said it was only a small section of branch wood.
The last picture is the ID picture from a book I use a lot called 'Wood Identification and Use'.

Paul (Nozzle)....

Judging by your picture post i thought to myself "i've got some of that out the front (chopped up) plus a couple of bits in the garage too. And i reckon you've got Liriodendron... otherwise known as Tulip Tree.... soft as anything, easy to turn (get quite a good finish on it, very pale in colour), great for 'practicing' with (hammer)

see here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron

Can you ask the guy what the leaves looked like..? plus if it had yellow 'flowers / buds' in the summer..?

If you ever go to Mottisfont Abbey they have a mahoosive one in the parks there :eek:

Whereabouts are you in Southampton..? I'm H/End

Nick

I've found The Wood Database to be very helpful in pinning down what species a piece of wood is. The guy takes actual scans of timber, not photos, and is quite thorough in trying to get accurate colour pictures.

Hi NikNak, im not too far from you actually just in sholing.
i dont think the guy who gave me them will know as he is the owner of marchwood tip, and they were just passed on to him to do what he would with them. hense why i got given them. i think the bloke it came from thought it was a fruit wood but i dont think so.
as regards to the timber you belive it could be, ive never heard of that one before! but by the sounds of it, its definetly worth cutting up and keeping.

RogerP":q57ze8wr said:
I've found The Wood Database to be very helpful in pinning down what species a piece of wood is. The guy takes actual scans of timber, not photos, and is quite thorough in trying to get accurate colour pictures.
yes i use this website quite a bit but so far ive only looked up peoples suggestions. maybe time for me to do some info digging on the site.

Sorry guys but we do not think that it's Ash - the bark is wrong (Ash is very rugged, with deep vertical
grooves). It looks more like an overgrown garden ornamental, like Laburnum;or possibly Plum i.e a fruit wood as your supplier has suggested.

A small sample would allow us to decide once and for all.

Good to talk.

i doubt its laburnum, as there is usually a stark difference between the pale sapwood and the dark brown heartwood

welcome along though

adidat

pennardesign":2yaw4ee2 said:
Young Ash does not have rough bark! I have felled ash trees that are 20 years old and still have smooth bark!

I agree. Mature ash does, indeed, have rough bark but youg trees usually are smooth

Ash without a doubt! The growth rings are typical young ash, identical to some I have in the workshop, the shrinkage cracks are typical of a young swaying tree, one in particular that has had to fight for height amongst other trees. I would also hedge bets that it has come from an area of particularly good air, lichen growth will only grow on ash in areas of good air quality.

I'm going to have to throw one into the mix as started thinking from the photos on page 1 that it Deffo wasn't Ash (Fraxinus) or Mountain Ash (Sorbus) - not related to normal Ash. Growth rings too thick.
When seeing pics on page 2 of the bark I was even more sure.
My guess would be tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima)

Back