Timber ident - help wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes,my mate Tony has been round again - last nights haul included some nice lengths of pine,most of a cherry tree that seems to have died off over winter,some apple,and this:-

Picture231Small.jpg

Picture232Small.jpg

White,hard,heavy,smooth bark,no real odour - feel like I should be able to identify it myself by now,but think I need your help.. :oops:

Andrew

By the look of the bark Andrew I would have a stab at Beech, can you plane a section up to see if characteristic flecking is apparent?

The flecks seem to be visible to the left of the grain pic so I'm more inclined towards beech, I've had some very similar colours from beech with the center rotted out.

J

Thanks Chas and Jason - will try to put the chainsaw through it tomorrow and plane it up;have 16 metres of plate rack to make and fit in a local pub first.
My first thought was sycamore,but it seems too hard and heavy - will be chuffed if it's beech,as there are five lumps about 500mm diameter and 150-180mm thick :D

Andrew

Having chopped up most of a 60' beech I can almost categorically sat that it is beech. When it rots from the middle you get that distinctive pink look. You may well have some spalting going through it as well by the look of it.

Pete

Andrew.
The sample in the piccy looks very similar to the white coloured wood that i have,which i thought was Beech when i got it,but it does turn out to be a whiteish colour when turned as in the pen i made in my last Todays Effort.
Is the bark brown in colour :?: Most of what i have was brown but some was almost black.
I am taking a chunk of it tomorrow to the Tree surgeon i know to see if he can ID it.
Seems like another nice haul.Bet those racks are over flowing now :D

Sincere thanks to one and all - here is a lump chopped and planed slightly :-

Picture239Small.jpg

Picture240Small.jpg

and now,it looks like beech,with it's characteristic flecking. :D

Paul - nearly filled the new timber rack up just with the cherry,not sure where the beech is going to go yet (but couldn't turn it down - even when I didn't know what it was.. :lol: )

Andrew

Yes Andrew looking at that planed section now it does look like Beech.
I took my timber sample along to the tree surgeon and he seems to think it might be either Sycamore or Maple with the white colouring of the pen i showed him.

I was going to say spalted maple because of the colours but with the flecks it's more like beech, the bark looks more like sycamore though, hope that helps a little :wink:

spalted beech, IMO

Dean :D

Latest posts

Back