Timber from Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been watching a chap selling fresh sawn Oak and Beech on Ebay, he is quite a long trip away for me, but I had to go that way and had no one in the car for the return journey, so I bid on a lot.
Dscn3550s.jpg

Well good job I had an empty car.
Dscn3556s.jpg

I recon that I paid for ~5cube of oak and ~2cube of beech. He does not count knots or shakes in his dimensions so there is more than that to bring home.
The moisture content varies, due to the timber being from 3 or 4 trees the wettest I have found is 22% down to 12%. I have resealed the ends with PVA and trimmed some bits to remove bark and its going into the roof space of the shop to air dry until next summer.

So the question is, was the £40 I paid for this lot good value?

He has a workshop behind an estate office, he buys timber from the estate but complained that they don't manage the woodland. He said he had just bought 3 artic trucks of timber from the forestry commission and was waiting for delivery.

You know rightly £40 was good value................
Well done, good catch.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Dave

DaveL":3sknmjpu said:
So the question is, was the £40 I paid for this lot good value?

Oh no, you've been robbed.

In fact, just pack it all up and send it to Nottingham so that you don't have to be reminded about it. :lol:

Cheers
Neil

I think Nottingham's too close to properly get rid of this foolish bit of timber buying. Now Cornwall, there's a suitable dumping ground... :whistle: Subject to evil things living in it, I'd say that was a darn good buy, Dave. You do make the rear suspension of your motor work hard, don't you? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

If this is the Guy I was bidding on a much smaller quantity of Beech and stopped bidding when the bids exceded £72 the winning bid was £110 so you definitely got yourself a bargain

Nigel

soapy":3n00wmfg said:
Would this be the guy who is based between Reading & Basingstoke ?.
Yes that’s the one, he is closer to the M4 than the M3 but there is not much in it.

Nigel,

Bad luck on the beech, but keep watching, he has beech on a regular basis and it doesn't aways go for that much. :)

Neil and Alf,

If you care to drop by I have an assortment of trimmings you are welcome to pick over. I will only recycle them into the wood burner to help dry the rest of the timber over the winter months and if your need for timber is that bad, well get here before it gets cold. :roll:

Back