Timber framing eduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearwood42

Reaction score
Hi,

Im really interested in learning about timber framing so I thought I’d ask for some advice on here! Not sure it’s the right place to ask but I’m sure someone will be able to tell me something.

Is this something that can be self taught? I’ve seen a few courses available around the U.K., has anyone attended one and was it worth it? The internet can be a bit of a minefield, Can anyone recommend good resources to learn from? YouTube, books, websites etc.

I only intend to do this as a hobby/projects around my own property, I’ve got a few power tools that will come in handy but I’m very short on hand tools, chisels especially so any recommendations would be great.

Any help is much appreciated

There is a course run by Joe Thompson at The Weald and Downland Museum in West Sussex. It's called Timber Framing From Scratch and it's very good.

Hi bearwood
I see you are in devon....
You could contact carpenter oak and see if they have any jobs going, or if you wanted, you could offer your time/ help in exchange for training when it suits you..... not sure how they'd react, but worth a go, they do a lot of oak framing!!!

Have a look at The Restoration Couple on YouTube - he made a timber-framed workshop - loads of stuff about it (It was in Douglas Fir but techniques were the same as for oak)

Hi bearwood
I see you are in devon....
You could contact carpenter oak and see if they have any jobs going, or if you wanted, you could offer your time/ help in exchange for training when it suits you..... not sure how they'd react, but worth a go, they do a lot of oak framing!!!
Hi Kev, I did think about doing that. It might be a little tricky because I’m self employed so finding time might be a little difficult. I thought it might be easier with a smaller firm in the hope they might be a little more accommodating.

Have a look at The Restoration Couple on YouTube - he made a timber-framed workshop - loads of stuff about it (It was in Douglas Fir but techniques were the same as for oak)

I’ve watched a few of his videos, seems like a really nice guy. Will have a look at his timber framing videos.

Thanks for the help so far

Back