timber for windows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi,

Looking for some guidance with this.
I'm looking to make some windows and was wondering what timber to use
Is softwood that is stained and varnished ok? The windows are reccessed approx 9" into the wall so miss the worst of the weather. If I did use softwood what would the life be and does anyone see any other potential problems.

John

Softwood is more suitable for priming and painting to keep the weather out.
If the paint is kept in good shape they can last for many years.
Hardwood is a better option as it lasts a lot longer.
This takes stain and varnish better for looks more than anything.

One think you need to bear in mind is that you need to comply with the building regs for all replacement windows.

Or be registered under FENSA www.fensa.gov.uk
Without a FENSA certificate you will be unable to sell the house.

If you contact your local building control officer he will be able to advise you.
They are very helpful with any structural or other renovation matters.

If using softwood (the vast majority of timber windows) use only decent dried redwood as warping will be a problem.

If treated well they will last up to 100 years, just like most victorian windows have.

If you make your own, you need to: make them stormproof with double rebate, close fitting seals, use easy clean hinges on upper floors. You should also consider making ventilated rebates if using double glazing units as this stops the seals rotting.

I have made a few windows and have been pleased with the results. I'm sure we can guide you if you decide to go down this route.

Gringo,

I don't know if you know this, but you can still buy from good timber yards all the softwood window sections you need to make complete windows, and it comes pressure treated called VAC-VAC.

Back