Timber for Vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
I am adding an end vise to my bench, what is a good timber to use for the jaws - I was thinking ash, oak etc. Does the timber choice have any influence on the outcome ?

John

Hi John - any close-grain hardwood is very good. Oak is very tough but a bit open-grain - it will do well though. The traditional choice (in Europe at least) is beech - but many others will do well. In the States they tend to use maple, sometimes ash - but they have loads of maple, we don't. Laminates of decent quality ply are quite good, but find some beech (if you were anywhere near me I have some free).

condeesteso":2m122sia said:
Hi John - any close-grain hardwood is very good. Oak is very tough but a bit open-grain - it will do well though. The traditional choice (in Europe at least) is beech - but many others will do well. In the States they tend to use maple, sometimes ash - but they have loads of maple, we don't. Laminates of decent quality ply are quite good, but find some beech (if you were anywhere near me I have some free).

Thanks for the advice and the offer I'll check out some beech. Kent is a bit far for me.

Most suppliers seem closed this week !

John,

I have some battered oak cheeks in my vice at the moment, too disgusting to show!

better to get some offcuts of good birch ply. Glue them together to make nice thick 'cheeks' and for appearance, glue a maple or ash lipping along the tops.

Should last you out with care. I use a hardboard surface inside too, glued on with newsprint in between. These are replaceable of course as long as you use a water soluble glue. (I think you will have to use 3mm MDF these days as hardboard seems to be in short supply!

HTH

John :)

Benchwayze":117fwznj said:
John,

I have some battered oak cheeks in my vice at the moment, too disgusting to show!

better to get some offcuts of good birch ply. Glue them together to make nice thick 'cheeks' and for appearance, glue a maple or ash lipping along the tops.

Should last you out with care. I use a hardboard surface inside too, glued on with newsprint in between. These are replaceable of course as long as you use a water soluble glue. (I think you will have to use 3mm MDF these days as hardboard seems to be in short supply!

HTH

John :)

Good idea, I may give it a try

John

Shultzy":1vh0pnyn said:
I would allow for the attachment of "soft" (pine) pads to the jaws as they tend to get damaged and are therefore easy to replace.
Agree. Grips better too with less damage to the workpiece.

condeesteso":194s7hyc said:

Where in the south east could i get some planed beech for a decent price?

Hi Geert - depends how much you need. Are we talking vice faces here... or a new bench :lol:
Not sure where you are but I could offer up a pair of vice faces no probs.

I have pine faces in mine and although I am just a hobby bloke they get some stick. I had to replace the originals, that I fitted about 14 years ago, about a month back. They are soft enough to hold without damage and they are strong enough to hold the odd bit of metal that I have to bash about a bit :mrgreen:

I'd avoid oak if it'll be in contact with any iron components, the tannin means it'll just stain black.

condeesteso":3a8mcge2 said:
Hi Geert - depends how much you need. Are we talking vice faces here... or a new bench :lol:
Not sure where you are but I could offer up a pair of vice faces no probs.
i was thinking enough for a whole new bench, so quite a bit.
I'm based between eastbourne and brighton
Geert

Bit more than I can muster!! BUT if you fancy making your bench in ash, I can help you get plenty at about £12 a cubic foot, a whole bench is around 14 cu ft. Any good? PM me if useful.

Latest posts

Back