Timber for Children's toys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a generally accepted "Best" timber for making kids toys?
My concerns are toxicity, splintering and durability.
Any thoughts?

I would have thought Beech is a good starter for 10.

Aragorn, what are you intending to make?

I prefer to use beech. It certainly does not splinter easily and I find it a joy to work with. I have used it on a number of jigsaw puzzles which have been chewed by a number of small babies & toddlers.

A couple of examples here:-
puzzles_hippo.JPG

The hippo is not beech but the two puzzles are.

Beech also seems to take water based staines quite well and my preference is a Finishing Oil which the tin says is child safe.

Andy

Love the hippo, Andy :D

I went to a toy shop in County Cork a couple of months ago which sold nothing but wooden toys - quite refreshing :) Anyway, I would say 95% of the toys in there were Beech.

NeilCFD

Thanks
The hippo is quite cute. The axles on the back wheels are off set which forces his bum in the air when pushed. There are lugs on the inside of the front wheel that force the jaws open as well.
This was made from scraps as a prototype some years ago but somehow I never got around to making another.

Andy

rubberwood is a common material for kid's toys - it's not as hard as something like beech, and therefore doesn't damage teeth so much when chewed upon; I think it's used mainly for young children's toys - toddler/pre-toddler. Certainly, the building blocks my kids eat...i mean play with...are made of rubberwood.

If you're going to paint the wood, you need to think about appropriate paints too.

If it tastes anything like it smells when cutting it on the CS, I'm surprised sprogs will chew it more than once!

Andy, why've you been keeping those toys concealed from us?! They're great - not nearly enough hippos on wheels in the world to my mind.

Back on-topic <shock>; Maple? Sycamore? Fruitwoods? (if you can get them)

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the replies.
Andy I love the hippo too! Cam action wheels are always fun!
So it seems that beech is the one to go for then. I don't often use it so have very few offcuts.
I like the idea of fruitwoods though Alf.
Looking at it the other way now, does anyone know of any of the common woods that I should definitely avoid?

Planning to make a few things: the biggest project being a castle for my 4 year old boy. SWMBO wants quite a good-sized fairly intricate piece in an "organic" style. (Guessing my spokeshaves will get a workout).
Also would love to make a hippo (who wouldn't after seeing Andy's), jigsaws and figures for the castle.

Alf":1mz6vvuk said:
They're great - not nearly enough hippos on wheels in the world to my mind.

I quite agree. I'm sure Ethan
ethan2004052202.jpg
would love one (if only he hadn't nicked all my tuits).

Alf":1mz6vvuk said:
Fruitwoods? (if you can get them)

I've got a whole pile of apple logs on my drive, originally intended for wet turning, but too dry now. If I'd known you wanted some I could have put a couple in the car last week... Oh well.
If anyone near Cambridge wants some then PM me - they're a bit split now but there must be some good bits in there.

cambournepete":f83399j7 said:
Alf":f83399j7 said:
Fruitwoods? (if you can get them)

I've got a whole pile of apple logs on my drive, originally intended for wet turning, but too dry now. If I'd known you wanted some I could have put a couple in the car last week... Oh well.
Pardon me while I go "D'oh!". Never mind, I've got a few bits of apple, pear and plum seasoning in the potting shed as we speak - I'm hopeful they won't turn into a mass of splits.
unsure.gif

dedee":f83399j7 said:
If only I could work out how to do a moving avatar
Try Unfreez. Very easy. Well it must be or else I couldn't use it...

Cheers, Alf

Back