Timber finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locton

Reaction score
Hi can anyone give an opinion on the following. I bought some Iroko for a garden project, after putting the timber through my planer & thicknesser; I am still left with timber that is pitted in parts. My question is, is it the timber being of poor quality, or have I not planed/ thickened it down enough to get rid of the indentations? or is it anything else?

My planer/Thicknesser is fairy new so the blades should be okay and it seems okay on other timber.

Any suggestions,

Locton

It sounds as though you have tearout where the grain reverses at points. Try taking a very fine cut, and/or reversing the direction of planing or by hand using a well set hand plane, scraping etc.

waterhead37":22nuq7q8 said:
It sounds as though you have tearout where the grain reverses at points. Try taking a very fine cut, and/or reversing the direction of planing or by hand using a well set hand plane, scraping etc.

Chris thanks for your reply, what you have said sounds about right, i will try a very fine cut, on the final cut.

thanks locton

Back