Timber Concertina Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
Reaction score
Help :(

Wondered if anyone has tried this before or can point me in the right direction. I am planning to replace the aluminium sliding doors in my dining room which go into the back garden this summer. The opening is just over 3.5m wide and about 2.5m high. I am planning (obviously) to build them myself in timber maybe having 5 (may be 4 or 6?) narrow doors that concertina back when opened. Information on how to achieve this seems a bit sketchy. Doing a quick web search, most of companies that offer a full service (supply and fit) all seem to use inset tracks that the doors run along and serious hinges to hold them together. Is this the best way? and if so is this type of ironmongery readily available? Would appreciate any help!

Hi Kev.

Not had any experience of this, but I think that you do need the tracks top and bottom to help the doors track and fold in the correct manner. I also think that they will use the track as a means to stop water entering the hose and also for fitting security devices into to stop the doors being forced open too easily. If you making the yourself the security is paramount. not even sure where to look on the web.

all the best

Neil

Kev,

If you look at the Hafele website (www.hafele.co.uk) they have more of this stuff under their architectural ironmongery section than you can shake a stick at.

As Neil says security is a big issue plus you will need to check whether any alterations you are making comply with Building regs in respect of ventilation and thermal efficiency.

Cheers

Tim

thanks for the web address and advice. Have emailed them to see what they say. Will hopefully be able to post some pictures in the summer when they are up!

Kev,

You need also to check youe insurance, not sure what it's like thre but here some insurance companies are very sticky about types of locks etc.

Les

Back