Timber Choice Advice...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I've been looking through this forum for quite a while and I figure it may be the best place to get some valuable advice! I've just joined and hope that I might pick the brains of the more experienced than I on a couple of woodworking matters that are very much on my mind lately.

I hope this is the correct section of the forum to post this particular one, but here goes...

I have an old cottage that I have painstakingly devoted much of my time to over the past few years and I am at the stage where I wish to buy some timber flooring and sheeting for wainscoting. I love the old buildings, but my budget won't stretch to reclaimed pitch pine, however I have come across 6"x3/4" new Honduras pitch pine and Douglas Fir (also known as Oregon Pine as I am led to believe) in the same size. I know they are both going to be soft, but I am confused in that any reading I have done about Douglas Fir says that it is one of the harder softwoods, while my supplier tells me the opposite and says that it really isn't suitable for flooring!

Who is right?

I really want something in keeping with an old cottage hence these woods. The Douglas Fir has beautiful grain, very reminiscent of old pitch pine and it has a reddishness to it which I like, but at £8 a square metre more than the honduras pine, which is also very attractive, I'm unsure if it is worth it. Given too that I will have my doors, skirting, architrave etc, etc made from whatever I lay on the floor, that difference in price could be substantial when all is said and done!

I want to make the right choice and I would really appreciate any advice. I will also want to oil or wax the timber, if that has any bearing on the decision making process...

Thank's for any and all replies,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I've done some serious flooring in the past, but I've never come across a floor in Douglas Fir, laid plenty of Honduras though. but I can't see why not if it's what you fancy, I think it would look very good imho. although the grain might be a bit loud on a large floor area.

I use a fair amount of Douglas Fir and as it's a very straight grained timber so it makes great doors, door frames & windows. Good for outdoor items as well. I would class it as one of the harder softwoods.

Pitch Pine, now don't you just love that aroma.............aahhhhhhhh
:) :) :)

Thank's John,

The aroma? I certainly do love the smell of pitch pine. In fact when I brought a sample of each of the two types home, my wife commented on the scent in the house straightaway! I've laid reclaimed stuff in the past on various jobs, and it is truly intoxicating. Sad, aren't we? :lol:

I'm glad to hear you like the Douglas Fir too, and I appreciate you sharing your first hand knowledge of these timbers. That is what I was hoping for, as to be honest, I am lost. I see beauty in both species.

Can you tell me what you think of the Honduras Pine in terms of stability, durability etc. My local joinery works has warned me off from getting my doors made from it as he has had problems in the past with it, but others say it's fine.

Would the Douglas Fir be harder and possibly more stable than the Honduras pitch pine? Is the colour of the timber likely to be fairly uniform, i.e. no significant differences? The sample I have at the minute has beautiful swirling grain, and while I appreciate every length will be different, some even possibly boringly straight grained, it is hard to completely discount it in preference for the Honduras, particularly now that I know it is on the hard side.

Have you ever waxed or oiled either type?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am afraid of spending all that money and regretting my choice, if you know what I mean!

Thank's again,

Michael

Back