Timber and finish for bathroom furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Shed Projects

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago I lived in a flat that had built in wall cupboard in the bathroom. It was definitely made of timber, probably a Vaneer not solid. It had a reddish finish which could easily have been in the finish. The flat was new maybe 15 years ago so it was definitely new material it was made from.

I am looking to build something similar. I realise the description above is pretty vague but was looking for timber or material that would work in this application. Initially looking for the timber look but am also considering mdf sprayed, would that be ok in a damp environment?

Any thoughts greatfully received.
Thanks.

I’ve used MR MDF in bathrooms for custom bath panels and cabinets. Painted properly. Never had a problem.

Compact Grade Laminate (CGL) panels

These are the resin products used in wet rooms - impervious to rot etc ;)

Compact Grade Laminate (CGL) panels

These are the resin products used in wet rooms - impervious to rot etc ;)
I use this stuff on site all the time and it has an institutional feel to me. It’s good gear. I am looking for something a bit more modern and slick.

What material is this made from? You see stuff like this in hotels and high end bathrooms.

Attachments

• 77DDAB61-41C5-486E-9FAB-E1C315BB39AE.jpeg
    77DDAB61-41C5-486E-9FAB-E1C315BB39AE.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 23
I use this stuff on site all the time and it has an institutional feel to me. It’s good gear. I am looking for something a bit more modern and slick.

What material is this made from? You see stuff like this in hotels and high end bathrooms.
I call them resin products.

Keeping an eye on this thread as I want to build some cabinets like you say. Struggling to find a material. I actually wanted to do some concealed cabinets with tiled doors but there is no product that you can fix tiles onto that is suitable for tiling and will be strong enough to take a hinge.

No. The mirrored unit in the photo was some kind of veneered timber.
Maybe it's just that. A moisture resistant ply with a simple wood veneer glued using a waterproof glue and then varnished.

After all, there are plenty of timber boats utilising similar techniques.

I'd cast your research net towards boat builders

Just be prepared for high maintenance to keep such products in these environments tip top.

I’ve used MR MDF in bathrooms for custom bath panels and cabinets. Painted properly. Never had a problem.
Me too for bath and wall panels. Painted it’s fine. I wouldn’t use it to line inside a shower cabinet with though :)
Seems to me the stuff gets a bad press - certainly in the canal boat game builders avoid it then happily use plywood or softwood. TBH if any of them are likely to be continuously immersed in water the boat’s probably sunk!

Me too for bath and wall panels. Painted it’s fine. I wouldn’t use it to line inside a shower cabinet with though :)
Seems to me the stuff gets a bad press - certainly in the canal boat game builders avoid it then happily use plywood or softwood. TBH if any of them are likely to be continuously immersed in water the boat’s probably sunk!
My bathroom floor is 18mm mdf MR

I have 2 kids that have sloshed more water on it than I care to remember.
It has stayed intact and not disintegrated.

Kid proof 🙄

Back