Tilting Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete L

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the term "tilting table saw" ?.

My understanding is that table saws either do or do not feature a saw blade that can be set at an angle. Any adjustment is achieved by turning a handwheel that moves the central arbor from the horizontal position to anything up to 45 degrees from that position. By definition the 'tilt' is therefore only of the blade (and attached motor unit).

I can appreciate that tilting the actual table itself may have the same result, but this seems clumsy.

Is the phrase "tilting table saw" just bad English, where the term tilting saw blade should have been used, or is there a choice of options?
:?
cheers,
Pete L

Hi Pete,

I haven't really thought about it before, but as far as i am concerned a tilting table saw means the blade tilts to one side or the other.

I must admit that the term "Tilting Table Saw" is a bit misleading, unless of course there are table saws out there where the table itself tilts.

Regards

Woody

Hey guys

Manny years ago here in the US some manufactors made a table saw where the table tilted. They are all gone as far as I know. The ones I saw were on 8" saws.

Travis

Good question - I have been wondering the same thing. Since it seems to be the thing to do I have been idly lusting over the woodford website and noticed they list a tilting table saw (model 804) and a tilting arbour table saw (model 805). If anyone does know the difference, and whether there are any benefits to one or the other I would be interested to know.

Steve.

On my ancient KITY combi machine the table tilts - I never use this feature as it just seems unsafe - I can't explain why.

Les

There are both types manufactured .Inca used to make a particularly nice tilt table saw.
Now the only one I know of is the shopsmith . The tilting table saw works better for bevel rip cuts. The tilting arbor saw works better on bevel crosscuts. There is nothing particularly more dangerous in one kind or the other IME. I have had and used both.
On the other hand I would never bevel rip on a tilting arbor saw and would find it inconvenient to bevel crosscut a long board on a tilting table saw.Last it is rarely a good idea to rip on a table saw if you have a band saw >So if the tilt table is an old inca it is definetly worth a try. As I recall that was what Krenov used when he was writing his books.

Walt

Latest posts

Back