Tilting Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at some machines on Monday, one option that is available on some machines and not on others, is a tilting spindle moulder. Is this a facility used often, or something worth having in case?

I don't have the facility on mine but it can extend the range of your cutters and would also be handy for putting the slope onto window cills or cutting the mitres on coopered panels etc.

Jason

Hi FTC

Freetochat":19tx7lxx said:
I am looking at some machines on Monday

Are you looking at the Jet? My toolshop raves about the Jet and says that they now sell five for every Scheppach spindle moulder.

The Jet has the capability of taking your existing router cutters, which gets you off to a good start if you have an investment in router cutters.

Cheers
Neil

(Who has no connection with Jet)

No Neil not the Jet range. I'm looking at Hammer. I am contemplating a full combination or separate planner/thicknesser and saw/spindle. But like most, I lack space and the combination lacks some facilities that I would get from the separates. As with everything, it's a compromise. In theory though it would be better for me to have a central standing area and work separates off each wall, then to have standing space around a machine that you would need for a full combination. Although a combination comes in cheaper than the separates. Decisions, decisions.!

hi FTC, DO NOT go for the saw spindle set up, as you will be using the spindle to make a moulding and then damhikt ! you need to saw some wood,then you would have lost the EXACT locations for the moulding.So, do try to look at the KUFO tiling moulder - it has a small footprint and a reasonable sized motor.
Keep us all in the picture,

HS back in Adam if only for a while.

Newbie_Neil":2iqfkn88 said:
has the capability of taking your existing router cutters, which gets you off to a good start if you have an investment in router cutters.

I'm far from being an expert and have no experience of the things but I'm sure I read somewhere that router cutters in a spindle moulder don't really do a good job because they're running at 8k revs instead of the higher speeds they ought be running at. I guess it's maybe less of an issue with large panel raisers that are supposed to run at lower (in router terms) speeds anyway.

I think it depends on the machine. The Hammer runs at 16k on the router spindle, from what I've read. The only problem is it is either a router spindle or 30mm spindle during the build, unlike the Felder which has an interchangable spindle.

Scott":43mbbb98 said:
Newbie_Neil":43mbbb98 said:
has the capability of taking your existing router cutters, which gets you off to a good start if you have an investment in router cutters.

I'm far from being an expert and have no experience of the things but I'm sure I read somewhere that router cutters in a spindle moulder don't really do a good job because they're running at 8k revs instead of the higher speeds they ought be running at. I guess it's maybe less of an issue with large panel raisers that are supposed to run at lower (in router terms) speeds anyway.

I've heard this comment too. You can't use most of your existing cutters as the diameter is too small, and the machine doesn't run fast enough. The only ones that work are larger things like panel cutters, which aren't run as fast.

Adam

Freetochat - Just to confirm that with the Hammer you have to decide at purchase if you want router or moulder use. With the Felder it's either or and the router bits run at correct speed. Felder man came to see me this afternoon so that's how I know. Haven't bought either yet. Just trying to find a bank that might be raidable. :)

Losos - Thanks for the tip. I spent a morning with Felder UK and decided to get a Hammer B3 Saw/Spindle with tilting 30mm spindle. If the spindle was interchangable with a router spindle that would have been useful, but as it is not went for the spindle as I want to use larger tooling. I know there are some issues with Felder/Hammer concerning service and manufacture, but given the number of machines sold worldwide, the complaints are quite small as a poercentage.

I don't have the money for Felder, but Hammer machines are in the ball park when comparing to other top end hobby machines.

I just hope when delivery comes in about four weeks, my opinion is the same??

Freetochat,
IMHO the tilting spindle is well worthwhile as it opens up another dimension to the cutters you can buy. Up to now I've found that buying cutters is cheaper than buying router bits. it can get expensive when you go large though :D. I've even found a local firm who make cutters to any spec you wish at the same cost as the off the shelf ones.

hi FTC, DO NOT go for the saw spindle set up, as you will be using the spindle to make a moulding and then damhikt ! you need to saw some wood,then you would have lost the EXACT locations for the moulding

On the Felder machine this is not a problem as it is fitted with a neat device that takes you back to exactly the position you set if you need to take the base off and put it back on later, I'm nearly sure this is an option you can have on the Hammer as well.

I know there are some issues with Felder/Hammer concerning service and manufacture, but given the number of machines sold worldwide, the complaints are quite small as a poercentage.

The Felder service as I've mentioned before is poor, but this is not the fault of the staff here in the UK, who are trying to do a good job.

The main issues with Hammer is the fences, so IMHO make sure it's in Hammer spec when the machine arrives. If your having Felder to set up the machine at your premises don't just rely on the engineers setup, double check it yourself as well.

Thanks John

There has been a problem with fences as we have previously discussed, but I am told that this has recently been addressed. I know on my visit, I saw that there were now two designs of fences on display machines. Also on the fence issue, from my understanding, there is a difference between the fence supplied with the combination and the fences on the separates. Far less flexing on the stand alones and overall easier to move/adjust. Just my view, and non-technical.

I am having the machines commisioned for me, so will spend the day or so playing parrot, sitting on the engineers shoulder.

Back