Tilt Arm bevel cutting on any machine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vestan pance

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if you can help settle a debate I’m currently having with myself.

I’m looking into a saw upgrade and think I’ve finally settled on the Axminster AWFS18, but the one feature I liked on the (sadly too expensive) Excalibur machines was the Arm Tilt feature. I’m looking at learning double bevel marquetry which requires a 7 degree tilt and a flat bed would be a preference, so I wondered about tilting the machine and then flattening the bed (see pic).

Half of me can’t see any reason why this wouldn’t work, but the other half says there must be a reason or somebody would’ve done it. Or have they? What am I missing here? All thoughts/opinions/mockery welcomed.

Andy

Attachments

• Scroll table tilt.jpg
    Scroll table tilt.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 620
Hi Andy. You will be better off with the AWFS 18 than an excalibur, a far better machine and more reliable and one hell of a lot cheaper. You tilt idea is very good. It is better to work on a flat saw table than one that is tilting and this was one of the few good things I found with my excalibur. In your shoes I would go for it, it is a brilliant idea you have come up with and it will obviously work. If I were making this I would go for a really heavy bench top to help reduce vibration, other than that it looks the business.

Back