Tilgear any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armagh

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking through a tilgear catalogue and noticed they sell a 311 plane labelled as "Brook" and a copy of the 52e vice also sold as Brook. They're considerably cheaper than paying for a Clifton 311 or Irwin 52e. Would it be fair enough to assume they're not great quality?

there made in India. my no10 rebate plane is OK its flat and reasonable finish. the blade is to hard and can chip and is hard to sharpen.

my only real advice is don't buy a vintage carriage makers rebate unless you can check it's flat and the sides at 90. the 311 may be an OK bet. I reckon axminster rider are made in the same factory( they certainly have a similar standard of finish) of course if you want fancy you must pay but but my rebate works a treat and was £30

Circling back on this, I would not recommend Tilgear for their 311 plane. Ordered 2, 1 came with the adjustment screw drilled into the wrong place so it doesn't even make contact with the blade. The second I was able to file into something approaching useable, but presents the blade at a skewed angle and has a piece of the casing missing where it meets the lever cap.

Back