Tile levelling spacers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to do a bit if tiling…..a job I hate! Anyway, I’m thinking of using tile levelling spacers, what would people recommend? This is a one of job, so I’m looking for adequate easy to use won’t break the tiles as opposed to professional system where time is money.…..unless of course the price difference isn’t huge.

I have to do a bit if tiling…..a job I hate! Anyway, I’m thinking of using tile levelling spacers, what would people recommend? This is a one of job, so I’m looking for adequate easy to use won’t break the tiles as opposed to professional system where time is money.…..unless of course the price difference isn’t huge.
The trouble with tile spacers, used the conventional way, is that sometimes ,annoyingly, they get stuck in the corners and will not budge. If you grout over them they grin through and have to be cut out with a multitool.
I switched , years ago to using them on their edge just like the matchsticks of old . You do use a lot more spacers this way, but you can always reuse them as the cement firms up on the previously laid tiles

If your tiles are of the larger & thicker format, the self levelling tile spacers are really good.
They are not as useful on smaller & thinner tiles.
If you use them, make sure you've got a really good thick bed of adhesive under the tiles.....If you scrimp on the adhesive, the self levelling system will tend to pull the tile up out of the adhesive.

I use these.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitrex-LAS...52&hvtargid=pla-437185530416&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

I tiled a bathroom recently and the customer purchased vitrex spacers from wickes-absolutely rubbish.they were supposed to be 2 mm but ranged from 1.5 to 2.5 and a few at almost 3mm . The previous tiling job I did were from tile choice and were excellent. As per Niall y I use them externally on the edges and carefully remove them when the adhesive is fully dry .

But,....The original question that the OP asked was about self levelling spacers.....Everyone knows you can use the crosses vertically rather than the way they were designed to be used and pull them out prior to grouting......🙄

I've used those Vitrex self levelling spacers for a good few years and have always been happy with the consistency and strength of them...👍

Deema,....I'm assuming these are floor tiles you are going to be laying...?

I've used those Vitrex self levelling spacers for a good few years
I was told by the local tile centre that they are really for the large tiles, the really big ones which cannot be leveled easily using the conventional spacers and not your average tiles otherwise you will need a lot of them.

I was told by the local tile centre that they are really for the large tiles, the really big ones which cannot be leveled easily using the conventional spacers and not your average tiles otherwise you will need a lot of them.

" Conventional spacers" dont level any kind of tiles...All they should do is keep the grout gap a consistent width.

Self levelling spacers work in 2 ways....By keeping the grout gap consistent AND lifting/ lowering the tiles to ensure all the surfaces of the tiles are at the same level where they meet in each corner. The idea being, once the adhesive has set, you just kick the wedges and spacer and they just snap off leaving part of the spacer under the tile...

Trouble with them I find is that if you've not got enough cement underneath then you can end up with a void under where the self levelling spacer is. I agree...tiling is the Devils' work.

If the floor is level and the bed of adhesive is uniform thicknes there should be no need for them. I tried using them on 60x60 porcelain and I cant say thry really made a big difference. I haven't seen any tilers use them.
I think theyre a bit like artex, if you don't have the basic skills you need something that makes the job a bit easier, but it will always have its drawbacks

If the floor is level and the bed of adhesive is uniform thicknes there should be no need for them. I tried using them on 60x60 porcelain and I cant say thry really made a big difference. I haven't seen any tilers use them.
I think theyre a bit like artex, if you don't have the basic skills you need something that makes the job a bit easier, but it will always have its drawbacks
"...I haven't seen any tilers use them..."
"...if you don't have the basic skills..."
........Well,...That's me told then!...😂😂😂

If your tiles are of the larger & thicker format, the self levelling tile spacers are really good.
They are not as useful on smaller & thinner tiles.
If you use them, make sure you've got a really good thick bed of adhesive under the tiles.....If you scrimp on the adhesive, the self levelling system will tend to pull the tile up out of the adhesive.

I use these.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitrex-LAS...52&hvtargid=pla-437185530416&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
I used these mid last year for a largish tiling job on a not particularly even floor and they worked great, but yes use a decent bed of adhesive and when you put the bed down, scrape away the adhesive about an inch back from the edge where the tile set goes.

Watch a few YT's and you'll be fine, but I do highly recommend you get a proper setting tool for the wedge for even pressure, and spend the time making sure the first line is all good, level and running in the right direction if you need a slight runoff.

If you're not sure, you can always put down the first line of tiles, place the tile leveller spacers in place then let it go off for a few hours so when you do the next lines after the first properly set line of tiles won't move when you do the wedges for all the rest. Do make sure you place the leveller spacers BEFORE the adhesive goes off, as trying to dig out a space for it under the tile edge after the fact is a PITA, yes you can infer I know this from experience :)

Far as professionals not using them that's pinapple. LOTS use them, it's bloody simple and a LOT quicker than tapping and feeling for edges.

I used these mid last year for a largish tiling job on a not particularly even floor and they worked great, but yes use a decent bed of adhesive and when you put the bed down, scrape away the adhesive about an inch back from the edge where the tile set goes.

Watch a few YT's and you'll be fine, but I do highly recommend you get a proper setting tool for the wedge for even pressure, and spend the time making sure the first line is all good, level and running in the right direction if you need a slight runoff.

If you're not sure, you can always put down the first line of tiles, place the tile leveller spacers in place then let it go off for a few hours so when you do the next lines after the first properly set line of tiles won't move when you do the wedges for all the rest. Do make sure you place the leveller spacers BEFORE the adhesive goes off, as trying to dig out a space for it under the tile edge after the fact is a PITA, yes you can infer I know this from experience :)

Far as professionals not using them that's pinapple. LOTS use them, it's bloody simple and a LOT quicker than tapping and feeling for edges.

I'm in Italy where floor construction is always solid and virtually 100% of floors are tiled and always have been. Her in Italy, I have never seen a professional use them, even if they are available from the big companies like Rubi, Raimondi etc.

I bought some cheap screw in types off ebay. The small inverted t shaped bit slots in between the tiles, twist it 90 degrees to go under both tile edges and then do up the black collar ( by hand is fine )
It pulls them to the same height. Firstly, as said previously, there needs to be enough bed and they need to be pretty close to being flush so you dont weaken the bond by stretching the adhesive.
They arent perfect, theyre cheap, but it does work. I let the adhesive catch up and take them out before it goes hard. You can also put the t in the slot, spin it a few times to clear some adhesive ( clean it ) and then reinsert if you have to leave it overnight

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220811-212107_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220811-212107_eBay.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 0
I bought some cheap screw in types off ebay. The small inverted t shaped bit slots in between the tiles, twist it 90 degrees to go under both tile edges and then do up the black collar ( by hand is fine )
It pulls them to the same height. Firstly, as said previously, there needs to be enough bed and they need to be pretty close to being flush so you dont weaken the bond by stretching the adhesive.
They arent perfect, theyre cheap, but it does work. I let the adhesive catch up and take them out before it goes hard. You can also put the t in the slot, spin it a few times to clear some adhesive ( clean it ) and then reinsert if you have to leave it overnight
I've used both the Vitrex lash clips and those described by Baldkev. I prefer the reusable ones. The vitrex force you to use a deeper adhesive bed, and, and they tip up when used at the edge of a tile run, making utter hard to stop/start part way through a
large job.

They're also single use plastic. You can reuse the wedges (and they come in handy for all sorts of levelling purposes) but the clips need to be thrown away and replaced.

Latest posts

Back